Help pricing a job please....

Timbur

Morning,

I've been asked by a resi client of mine to quote to look after a pub garden where he's taken over as manager. I'm a veg gardener that does mainly private work on and ad hoc arrangement albeit I've got reg. clients as well.

The gardens approx an acre and mainly grass with a few shrubs around the border. The grass needs keep trim as it's well used in the summer months by families.

I'm thinking a visit once a week to cut the grass. Is that enough? Anyone on here look after playgrounds/church yards and care to help me out?? I'm guessing the edges will need strimming as well.

The shrubs are easier as it will be "as and when" they need something doing.

They've got a ride on mower that I can use if I want (seems silly not to) but I will need to remove the clippings, supply fuel, use my tools

(strimmer)

I was thinking of an hourly rate plus fuel. Then I need to factor in paying to get rid of the clippings as I don't have anywhere to loose them (I know, it's trade waste :001_rolleyes:

Whatdoyarecon?

Cheers

Tim

Are you sure you can't get rid of grass cuttings on site? Why not compost them? You've got a whole acre there - that'll be a lot of grass to cart off.

I reckon for mow and strim you've got to put it in as a half day. Weekly might be too often - possibly better off two-weekly. That way, if you get it done in 3 hours you can go off and do something else and you're quids in. Yet it still allows you 4 hours for a half. Then couple of times a year you can put in a whole day on top doing the shrubs etc.

Popped down today for a gander. Bags of room for a good sized composted tucked away. Will suggest it.

More shrubs than I was told about and also a small front garden to stay on top of.

Need to try the ride on as well as it's sat outside looking a bit sorry for itself.

It's never easy!

Cheers for the help so far.

Tim

36'' cut. Oo er, that's a biggun!

Timbur, also think about what time it's best to do the work. You don't want to be mowing and strimming when there are customers with kids in the pub garden, so you'll need to get an early start to make sure finished well before lunch time.

If I am unsure how long it will take and want the job, i say to the customer that I will cut it first time for free and then quote them. Do the best job possible neat and tidy. This way you know how long it will take with your machines and the customer can see what they are paying for.

as far as how often it needs cutting, every 7 days will keep it looking neat buy 14 days it will be ready for cutting.

you want to charge per cut not by the hour

I have have regular mowing contratcs and most are on a 2 weekly schedule. once you know how long it takes work out a fair hourly rate add a bit more for the occasional cock ups. Definately push for composting on site.

Good luck