do i or dont i??

tree-Rossi

Ok, I accept that the term "gross misconduct" might not have been correct. But maybe I shouldnt have said anything about law, as I am not really interested in the complications of law.

The facts are though, that unless you have a very understanding (stupid) boss, you will be treading on very thin ice if you officially go self employed to work for someone else at weekends.

Even if not in tree work, if you work all weekend and are not on good form for monday then you risk losing your job. Even if you play sports all weekend and come in tired/injured on a regular basis, you can find your self replaced by someone less "risky".

Employment is a rare enough thing that you shouldn't mess with it. And I dont know any tree companies with an HR department, its all fairly old school. YOu can get sacked for no reason, weather thats legal or not, you find out if its legal if you take it up in court afterwards, but for many its too late by then.

I personally would take it as gross misconduct, even if that isnt the correct term. The OP should either discuss with his boss, or if that is not a comfortable thing to do then I would suggest keeping very quiet about it. But taking a wage with holiday pay etc. while planning to set up on your own is extremely insulting to the person paying the wage, and its naive to think that its all going to be ok.

So lets all forget about law, I dont like all that legal speak, its pointless, my bad for mentioning it.

As said before, I know of quite a few examples of people finding themselves sacked very quickly, and as yet I dont know of any taking it to an employment tribunal.

We agree on a lot of things, Rupe. I only wanted to point out that 'legal BS' is seldom as black and white as it might first appear. :001_smile:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Rupe with this thread, if you want security of employment then dont p£ your boss off doing on the books wk end work.

"I know of one bloke who turned up to work in a sign written van, and was sacked on the spot, and still thinks that was unfair!!!!! "

I also might know someone who became very unpopular by turning to work in a sign written Theocus vehicle once upon a time, i didnt last very long after that point forward. Oh hind sight, what a wonderful thing!!!!!

Didnt do you any harm in the long run though did it?

many many threads like this mate... id do your homework first and get all the facts and figures including the law together and see what you think. you couldnt of picked a worse time mate really with todays market though. how much work could you get private as well as a subby?

Well said, i think the same:thumbup1: Times are really hard at the mo.

Thanks everyone

I understand where your coming from but I work for a utility contractor at the moment and want to get into proper tree work more shaping etc as I enjoy doing it.

They have no rules against us working outside of contract hours and plenty of the others do it I work up gloucestershire and live down by stone henge so it wouldn't affect that either.

I'm good mates with two tree surgeons down here offering me work if I go self employed so I'm just after other info to get it all to work thank you