best saw ever?

colsontr33s

just read thread on husky 262 with problems. which made me think the best cutting saw i have ever used was a 262, and would happily spend money on the old girl to put that smile on my face. which got me thinking about the pros and cons of saws i have used over the years. the best sounding etc. for me im not a stihl man or husky, both have made saws that i like. for example as a lad i remember the weight and grunt of a sachs dolmar, and you cant beat the sound of an old 020av and a technique to start them by taking the fuel cap of and pouring fuel down the choke switch. still got a stihl 076 that i dont use but cant bear to part with. still got origanal bar and must take nearly a litre of fuel per tank! or the first saw i bought new, 254xp learnt to sharpen properly on that bad boy! love a 044 but my 371 when warm just takes of. had a 560xp for a few months and it is a good saw, sounds angry cuts well,but a pain to start hot. which brings me back to the 262. for me, nothing cuts like a 262. but in my eyes cause it cut the best, does that make it the best saw ever? how would you class the best saw ever? cutting? sound? looks? price? discuss.

erm i bought a 262 years ago new off the shelf and it had a stripped oil pump worm gear which took ages to find, it also would not run properly as well. must have been a friday afternoon built saw or summit!the current problems i have are sortable and i agree that when cutting its awesome, much better than a 365. I have just had bad luck with 262s i think! :001_rolleyes:

I think the 346XP is a damn good saw, goos AV, loads of useable power and is a joy ot use. No starting issues - generally 3 pulls and are easy to work on.

I love mine, sounds like an angry wasp on steroids:thumbup:

I have just written Rich a book on things to try with his saw, think he has a few issues that have materialised on a saw I sold him. Very difficult to get everything 100% all the time but have offered to look at the saw and resolve the issues - least I can do:thumbup:

Edited by spudulike

my old 026 died on me again so went to shop to by a new saw and was going to get a 346. especially after using one with a 18 inch bar and heard what you can do with them spud. but fell for the latest model with her sleak lines and rev boost!(560) but then after purchase read a comment i think you made?(dont quoate me)! about all singing and dancing fancy new stuff cant really be repaired more replaced, like cars these days. which makes me think i should have got 346 and given it to you. but thats not what im getting at. what is the best saw ever? in your eyes?

used a 262 many a time, blinding saw,and also have a 371 which i bought new in 1999,still going strong, my jonsered 2156 is a right whizzer but when it comes down to it, i would have to say my 371,nice sound,great balance,nice power and feels at home with a 15" right up to 24"bar, odd occasion ive run a 28" and handled it well, 262 a very close second tho

my old 026 died on me again so went to shop to by a new saw and was going to get a 346. especially after using one with a 18 inch bar and heard what you can do with them spud. but fell for the latest model with her sleak lines and rev boost!(560) but then after purchase read a comment i think you made?(dont quoate me)! about all singing and dancing fancy new stuff cant really be repaired more replaced, like cars these days. which makes me think i should have got 346 and given it to you. but thats not what im getting at. what is the best saw ever? in your eyes?

I was impressed with MattyFs 560, damn fast saw and felt good, I am spending a bit of time getting my 357XP to level or beat it at the next day out. I was around 0.3 secs behind it on three cuts - not bad for a well used but rebuilt junk saw:thumbup:

Best saw IMO - in my terms the 346XP but many would say the 066, others the 026, millers would say the 076, Husky fans - 254XP and so the list goes on.

The question will bring forth many opinions, all correct with each member for different reasons and none of them incorrect as it is a personal opinion:thumbup:

I like my 345e. I put a 13" bar with narrow chain on it and it really sings through little stuff, goes ages on a tank and is really nicely balanced. Plus once it's warm it starts on the lightest pull. I got it with an 18" bar but it's not up to that really so I'm looking at a 575 now for slightly bigger stuff.