How do you know if stuff is stolen?

ukminch

Technically there is a way.

The database that keeps the records from cars controlled by exuifax and HPI also has a search facility for electrical goods, agriculteral stuff etc. Unfortunately while working in the trade I never ever came across anything other than vehicles that had put up stolen or finance notification on the database.

So basically the system has been in place for at least 7 years but for some strange reason it's not used...

The same problem comes up when buying second hand scramble bikes. I wanted to buy one once, went round and looked. Decided that I wanted it but I wanted to check it out first. HPI told me that the police keep the records for stolen off road vehicles so I popped into my local station with the chasis number and asked them if it was stolen. Their reply was fustrating! "If the vehicle is not yours they are not authorised to check the vehicle id numbers. However once I have parted with my hard earned money and baught it, they could check them then.

Soooo... after a little pondering I went into another station and said that "I was looking to sell my bike but because I baught it cheap I wanted to check it out. I was worried that it may have been stolen and didn't want to pass on stolen goods" It took them around three minutes to tell me that the id numbers were not listed as stolen.

Edited by Mr. Bish

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago there was a spate of thefts from farms round here, on night the theives were disturbed and the police were called and gave chase. After being followed for a few miles the crooks realised they were'nt going to get away so they stopped and got out with a couple of baseball bats, the coppers turned round and drove away!!! The theives got away.