How much would you charge?

Joe Loggs

I know where you're coming from Dean. But the way we've subbed certain works out before doesn't always work out as an extra cost to the customer. We've often subbed out large amounts of brickwork to someone we know when we want a lot done fast, and we've made money on it. But the way we've made money is by charging the customer the fella's normal going rate (i.e. the rate he would charge the customer), but then the fella does a lower rate for us because he regularly gets work through us. We've also subbed out timber building supply and erection and made a profit on that. Not by charging the customer extra (we charge the customer the going rate) but by getting the 15% trade discount from the building supply and erection firm.

It's the same with the tree work - charge the customer whatever a firm would charge, i.e. £500 for the job and have a bona-fide sub in to do it. The customer still pays what he would pay if he got a firm in, the bona-fide proper guys doing the tree work still get paid what they want (typically more than they would get paid by a firm), and any difference goes to our business, which we earn by making sure everything goes smoothly. The customer wouldn't know where to start or who to trust if he was getting a subby in himself so he wouldn't benefit from a lower price. He's paying no more that he would do getting a big firm in.

You might say that this is taking jobs away from other arb firms, BUT it is GIVING work to bona-fide sub-contractors. And yes, before you ask, the company my mate owns and who I do a lot of work for does have full PL and EL to cover tree work.

Edited by Pedroski

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, I wasn't,t trying to have a go honest :biggrin:

Trouble is with me I say what's in my head and it doesn't come across well sometimes, typical northerner :001_rolleyes:

I know you weren't having a go :thumbup1: It's just healthy discussion and it's good to see how various businesses operate - it's certainly not a one size fits all situation. What we've have to do, from initially being just a gardening firm a couple of decades ago, is to diversify in order to keep in work. And it's paying off as we're managing to ride out the tough times. Looking forward there is the possibility of taking on additional full time employees - fingers crossed.

Hi people I need a little help I'm a free lance climber and I have just got a large job in my village doing various jobs, what day rate would be fair for me and a groundsman no chipper and truck needed. I want to earn money from this but I don't want tobe to dear and lose work in the village. Does £250 a day sound to cheap or fair?

£250 is an ok start. If you do one or two jobs like that and live pretty frugally then you can afford to turn some jobs down. People will soon notice that you're turning jobs down and/or just quoting way over the mark.

That generally means you're busy which in turn means you must be pretty good.

Get yourself a posh vehicle with a fancy sign on it, get radios and lots of red and white tape, amber flashing lights a brochure and a website and all that stuff.

Start going on holiday a lot. Hire a climber with some groundsmen who can quote on jobs, oh yeah and an accountant. Make sure you have a lawyer too and some cranes. Become the governing body of some arm of your industry and then manufacture stuff specifically to meet your new regulations.

Edited by Al Baker

£250 is an ok start. If you do one or two jobs like that and live pretty frugally then you can afford to turn some jobs down. People will soon notice that you're turning jobs down and/or just quoting way over the mark.

That generally means you're busy which in turn means you must be pretty good.

Get yourself a posh vehicle with a fancy sign on it, get radios and lots of red and white tape, amber flashing lights a brochure, website and all that stuff.

Start going on holiday a lot. Hire a climber who can quote on stuff and an accountant. Make sure you have a lawyer too and some cranes.

Errmm... Good advice there Al