Jeremy Vine Today

MikeTM150

The people on benefits should be made to go round and wake up the working folk of this country with a nice cup of tea and toast, and if not then no benefit.

Except I dont want them round at my door in the morning!

So we all have to pay a bit more tax to fund an enormously vast amount of people to wake up the lazy people that dont pay tax?

We could just pay the lazy people to wake themselves up and thus saving loads of money in employing lazy people waker uperes.

The benefit system is a total farce ime.

I had an injury many years ago where I had to not work for at least 6 weeks due to nerve damage, would income support help me out even though I had a job to go back to as soon as I was able to would they fook.

Because I was self employed I had to be out of work for something like 6 weeks before I could claim anything!!!

I had a right old whinge an moan and hassled loads of people for the grand sum of around £150!

That was 13-14 years ago and I have worked ever since, im fairly sure I have put back what I claimed.:001_rolleyes:

I agree that the first error was to listen to JV. If I'm driving I switch of Brucey at about 11:30 and listen to R4 so I don't even have to hear him do his tease. His self-importance and devils advocate positioning for public titilation is disappointing and demeaning to better journalists.

The benefits system, as with virtually all systems, has to be designed to catch as many people it is designed to help whilst excluding those who don't need it.

The crux is in setting the parameters.

Make criteria simple and easy to ensure all those in need are catered for and the opportunities for abuse of the system are magnified. Diminish these opportunities and more of the needy are excluded from the system.

There is no happy medium. If there is a set budgeted amount to be spent, give or take a few billion, the parameters are set to include enough of the needy and not too many of the freeloaders.

The key challenge for the powers that be is that there only has to be one pensioner, one war hero, one widow, one disabled child who goes without and the media magnifies the issue out of all proportion, (granted, it's a tough situation for the person concerned), and steers a sizable section of society to think that the system is rubbish.

Where people are involved, either developing, implementing or benefitting from, a system cannot be perfect. (And here I'm not suggesting the current benefit system is even approaching perfect).

The media, and here I do include Mr Vine, are guilty of self-aggrandizement to the detriment of the wider community. If they practiced a little self-abnegation they would help the situation and perhaps gain some small measure of respect.

I agree that the first error was to listen to JV. If I'm driving I switch of Brucey at about 11:30 and listen to R4 so I don't even have to hear him do his tease. His self-importance and devils advocate positioning for public titilation is disappointing and demeaning to better journalists.

The benefits system, as with virtually all systems, has to be designed to catch as many people it is designed to help whilst excluding those who don't need it.

The crux is in setting the parameters.

Make criteria simple and easy to ensure all those in need are catered for and the opportunities for abuse of the system are magnified. Diminish these opportunities and more of the needy are excluded from the system.

There is no happy medium. If there is a set budgeted amount to be spent, give or take a few billion, the parameters are set to include enough of the needy and not too many of the freeloaders.

The key challenge for the powers that be is that there only has to be one pensioner, one war hero, one widow, one disabled child who goes without and the media magnifies the issue out of all proportion, (granted, it's a tough situation for the person concerned), and steers a sizable section of society to think that the system is rubbish.

Where people are involved, either developing, implementing or benefitting from, a system cannot be perfect. (And here I'm not suggesting the current benefit system is even approaching perfect).

The media, and here I do include Mr Vine, are guilty of self-aggrandizement to the detriment of the wider community. If they practiced a little self-abnegation they would help the situation and perhaps gain some small measure of respect.

Spot on, couldn't agree more!!! Think i've learnt JV is only bad for my blood pressure!:001_rolleyes:

I've just been looking through all the jobs in may are on the Job centre web site as the Mrs is trying to get back in employment now the kids are a bit older and she's had it with being a self-employed on £3.50/hour registered and insured and qualified early years practitioner childminder. It's all borrocks. Virtually all the jobs there are for sales and marketing, plus a heap for self-employed qualified interpretors on min wage. A lot of the sales jobs are commission only and based on grabbing people in the street or cold calling people. There are some more tasty jobs, like a toolmaker.... but you need 10 years experience. Apprentice chef job - £95/week. General labourers with experience and CSCS card - £6.08/hour. Experienced builders - £8/hour. Area agent - min wage - doing cold calling offering people tax rebates. Catalogue distributors - commission only. Goods inward supervisor - must have flex/bendi forklift licence and experience - £17k/year.

It's all very well when people say there are loads of jobs out there. There are jobs out there, not loads, but some. But there also loads of people who aren't suited/qualified/experienced to do those jobs. And also, a huge number of those jobs are only suitable for people who live at home with mum and dad to support them.

Imagine trying to rent a place for £200/week, buy food, pay bills, pay for transport and everything else, with the income from a commission only job delivering catalogues or whatever. Without state support it's just not possible. I've just looked through 249 jobs, and there's possible ONE that I might be able to blag my way into and might possible pay enough to support family. And for my Mrs, maybe a couple of min wage jobs, that is all honesty wouldn't be worth bothering with as it would mean we would need to spend out on someone to drop the youngun to school, pick him up and all that. 'tis crap.

I totally agree with the comments about Jeremy Vine. I was recently saying that its hard to tell the difference between Jeremy Vine and Jeremy Kyle. Once when he had a so called `Money Expert` on who was advising to buy big bottles of water and pour into smaller bottles to save money I felt like ripping the radio out and throwing it out the window.. in the end I just switched it off :biggrin:.. bring back Jimmy Young and the Legal Eagle.