ref 110 intake snorkel what the best

mendiplogs

what's a mega-jolt ignition?

oooohh....

Replaces the dissy on V8's.... Main Page - Autosport Labs or MegaSquirt - Electronic Fuel Injection Computer by Bowling and Grippo ©2010 [which is more specific to why I like it...]

Makes them much better in water...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9WCgy-3bqo]landrover v8 90 wading megasquirt - YouTube[/ame]

I see! who can afford to run a V8 these days! mega engine though!

:blushing: I know..... :001_cool:

I have a bit of a thing for them.... don't run it as an every day car but it gets a lot of use... but you're right, seriously thirsty.... I was using it every day a while ago and I put 400 quid in it in 3 days....

My first V8 was a 1993 Range Rover, then I had a 1959 Series 2 with a 3.5, and now a 3.9 Disco.... that bloody noise.... I can't help it.... to hell with the cost! :blushing::lol:

:blushing: I know..... :001_cool:

I have a bit of a thing for them.... don't run it as an every day car but it gets a lot of use... but you're right, seriously thirsty.... I was using it every day a while ago and I put 400 quid in it in 3 days....

My first V8 was a 1993 Range Rover, then I had a 1959 Series 2 with a 3.5, and now a 3.9 Disco.... that bloody noise.... I can't help it.... to hell with the cost! :blushing::lol:

HI WUSS your right there ref v8 mate jon :thumbup:

I have a mantec with a flexi pipe as my roof rack has the additional supports down the front of my windscreen so this type is the only one that will fit ,

They are really well made and easy to fit as it uses existing mounting holes other than the ones on the windscreen which need a pilot hole drilling

Mantec_Snorkel_Land_Rover_Defender_1.JPG

HI ALL I'm looking for a intake snorkel for my 110 when i go off road what make have you all use thanks jon :thumbup:

I have a snorkel on my defender 90.

The previous owner fitted it along with a bunch of other tat.

Somehow I don't think he ever drove it through rivers up to the windscreen.

In fact I think it was mostly pulling his caravan once or twice a year.

My only ever need for a snorkel was driving up the cape york peninsula in Australia. River after river up to the bonnet. We never had a snorkel so we just took care.

I wouldn't bother with one unless you're gonna submerse the front wings.

Electrics that was the only engineering problem I ever had while deep wading. The starter motor would get all silted up and needed whacking now and then. It was a diesel engine mind you. I would never have attempted it with a petrol motor.

In the words of a certain Russian marine electrician I know..."Nothing is waterproof"

The worst problem over all I found with deep wading was when the vehicle would loose its footing in a fast flow forcing you to steer downstream and look for another possible exit while trying to read the river bed from the cut and flow of the surface with all those alarm bells going off in your head.

That's where I would feel more comfy with a snorkel.

A diesel engine is just not powerful enough to compress water. I've seen the results. Pretty ugly and not what you want if the nearest garage is 200 miles away.

The whole "bow wave" thing, I never understood that. I think people probably recommend having a bow wave because if you haven't then you've stopped. If you've stopped then you're going to have to drop it a cog which means clutch, then the whole thing tends to spiral downhill.

You can try the whole wading plug thing I suppose but if you have to fit it repeatedly for numerous crossings then it becomes a pain if you haven't lost it in the dirt somewhere already.

Letting the engine cool down before submersing it is a good idea I reckon.

It just feels like the right thing to do. Especially if the ambient temperature of that environment is 35'C +

Snorkels are ok for a air supply but if you are seriously planning on wading that deep you need to make sure the electrics are waterproof! A little speed will make a bough wave to give you a small margin of safety but it won't be fail safe!
Edited by Al Baker