Is Ecalyptus the best firewood?

face cord

I'm not a fan of eucalyptus plantations in the UK having seen the results of bush fires in Tasmania. The timber is good although that would not change my mind, plus there are no benefits to uk wildlife as has been mentioned. They use the contour method similar to mounding and some of their species is frost tolerant so these are the ones planted in the UK. Yes they do produce good firewood but is that all you want from your stand?

I think, in all honesty, an Ash stand would provide a better cash return. This seems to be a little like the 1970's rush to find 'alternatives' like Southern Beech. Useless, always blowing over and worthless for anything!

I am always surprised when folk quote 'massive growth potential' of a foreign species. Well planted British natives will nearly always out perform outsiders when situated in their best environment. That is then 'Good Forestry Practice'!

Codlasher.

:thumbup: I totally agree, species need to be dual use such as ash in case the market fails at some point in the future. Why do we always have to re-write the book and forget about the failings of the past?

Why would the biomass market ever fail in future?

I can only see it getting more pricey.

Euc has no dual use?

Im no big euc fan or anything but from that study it seems impressive for biomass & profit is what will count in the end if they make a decision to plant rather than wildlife value same as conifer plantations?

Edited by face cord

We are still struggling to shift conifer. There has been a fall in sawlog prices again here. we can't predict the future biomass you never know?

If the subsidies disappear in 25-30 years time the biomass generating plant will go as well. It seems likely that the 'fracking' for gas and carbon capture will be viable by then, so there will be no need for it.

If the subsidies disappear in 25-30 years time the biomass generating plant will go as well. It seems likely that the 'fracking' for gas and carbon capture will be viable by then, so there will be no need for it.

The money could dry up long before then. Have draks not pulled their biomass plant? and has the tariff not already been reduced for solar? What has have happened to the poplar and willow beds that were planted in the 90's? Most have gone from round here A: cos the funding was removed B: cos the price of wheat has risen. I can show you five small woods nearby that have been grubbed out this winter and now have wheat on them. I thought those days were over?

European funding for these projects may not last we must wait to see if it rains in Spain!

ve been planting eucalyptus on a estate I work for, its a bit of a trail run to see what they grow like. We've been using a method called mounding to plant them on where a excavator digs little mounds all over the place and then trees are planted on the mounds its meant to help with frost and create a weed free enviroment for them to grow, hopefully something good will come from them

Hi Stu, don't suppose thats on a site over by Hook Common is it? Was looking at a fencing job there recently and there was some randon Euc plantings in amongst pine plantation?