020 not running right

ukminch

The 020 carb is more reliable than the 200 carb and does not have the troublesome accelerator pump. Its also cheaper than the 200 one at around £65 I think ( can check in morning at the shop)

i fit them to 200's to cure the problems.

Carb kits are way cheaper than £24.00.

I have done the same to one of my 200t's,runs sweet as a nut & took about half hour to fit,one of the carb adjustment screws doesnt quite line up with the hole in the rubber side boot,but you can angle the screw driver in there.

Got an old 020 that isn't running right, starts and runs, but sometimes dies off as soon as the throttle is touched. Choke on and it will start, half choke and it runs etc.

Was gona put a carb kit in myself but it appears that these people do the rebuild for the same price as I can get the bits STIHL MS200 / MS200T ZAMA CARBURETTOR REPAIR 020 / 020T CARB CARBURATEUR | eBay anybody used them?

Also need a tank breather I think, looks a bit different to the one on the ms200 as that goes up to the carb, or am I missing a bit?

Cheers R

p.s Where do you use online for your stihl parts? Guy I used to use was brilliant but has gone rapidly downhill!

yes i have used them and i had the same problem with my 200t and he fixxed it and it runs perfect now

Garden kit gets the prize, the 020 carb doesn't have the troublesome accelerator pump, the problem of the saw dying on throttle may just be mixture adjustment, try turning the "L" screw all the way in to the carb and out one turn and see if that makes a difference.

Also a carb kit is around £10 - 12 as Barrie quite rightly states:thumbup:

You may have crap in the gauze filter in the pumping section of the carb, a carb kit isn't required for this. I have seen old 020 carbs puncture the pumping membrane sealing flaps - check the posts in "Whats on my bench" for images.

You may have an air leak - holed carb boot or impulse line - these can cause the symptoms you have. You can also find images on "whats on my bench":thumbup:

I usually give the carb a bit of TLC and then if that fails, a pressure and Vac test and go from there.

Gauze filter was the first thing I checked and that was fine, I've set the both high and low screws to 1 turn out. 10-12 quid sounds a lot better for the carb kit!, if its not that then I haven't lost much, haven't got the gear to vacuum or pressure test it.

What does the impulse line do? I've looked at your on my bench thread and it has made me wonder if this problem is beyond me.......

R

Gauze filter was the first thing I checked and that was fine, I've set the both high and low screws to 1 turn out. 10-12 quid sounds a lot better for the carb kit!, if its not that then I haven't lost much, haven't got the gear to vacuum or pressure test it.

What does the impulse line do? I've looked at your on my bench thread and it has made me wonder if this problem is beyond me.......

R

The impulse line takes the positive and negative pressure formed in the crank case and transfers this pressure/vacuum to the fuel pump within the carb by means of either an internal hole in the carb boot or a rubber tube.

On the 020, it is a rubber tube running from the top of the crank case in to the handle, just in front of the breather and underneath the airbox!

The 020 carb is more reliable than the 200 carb and does not have the troublesome accelerator pump. Its also cheaper than the 200 one at around £65 I think ( can check in morning at the shop)

i fit them to 200's to cure the problems.

Carb kits are way cheaper than £24.00.

Nice one Gardenkit, 020 carb getting fitted then, I did try blanking the accelerator pump tube off but didn't,t have any luck with it.