mentoring

sawmonkey

how does folks, just something that has recently been brought up by 1 of my main companies. they now want anyone who has recently done a saw course to be mentored but dont state how long for, just wondering what everyone thinks is or will be acceptable and has anyone else been tld to do something similar?

I think this is a good idea, if they (the company) are willing to invest in the time to free up someone to watch over the "newbs". In a way this is something the more experienced tend to do anyway, keeping a close eye on them, but its good to see company actually addressing it properly.

good idea. getting your tickets is not the end, having a company intrested in your countined devolpment is a good thing. Ive heard off guys doing their tickets and being let loose in the world and having accidents and all sorts.

I would love somone more expereinced to watch over me, this game is too dangerous not to have someone not look after you in the early stages.

Good idea, particularly if CS30/31 newly qualified and working on urban green space cruddy willow, sycamore, rotten ash etc, after qualifying on nice straight softwoods. I got some nasty shocks when I had done medium bar and was way too overconfident taking big stuff down and snedding out crowns - no substitute for experience, I wish I had had someone to keep me straight in the beginning. Going to suggest it to our Ranger service manager. We are too on and off with our felling, newbies should buddy up with experienced guys.

talking to some of the lads in work what their general response is;1 who going to do the mentoring and are they going to have any sort of come backs if the person being mentored has an accident(what ever god looks after saw operators forbidding) 2 how long do they watch them on either a 1-1 bases and after just generally keeping an eye on them, 3 we should all be watching each other any way cos accidents do happen and we all pick up bad habit or sometimes we cant see what is obvious to some one else etc.

all valied points i think but also there should be some way of recording the process. anyone got any ideas, maybe a few of the instructors/ assessors out there can give a few pointers cos like 1 of the boys said earlier 'we never stop learning and we can all still f**k up'(he has over 20 years expriance)

how does folks, just something that has recently been brought up by 1 of my main companies. they now want anyone who has recently done a saw course to be mentored but dont state how long for, just wondering what everyone thinks is or will be acceptable and has anyone else been tld to do something similar?

brilliant idea, we did a similar thing at the blue machine in leeds area and it worked a treat, give a good indication when somebody is ready to progress to another level e.g. small trees to medium

I feel mentoring is vital, and not just in the short-term... It's really important that people realise that NPTC qualifications are 'Certificates of Competence'... the first step on a very long career ladder... they are not proficiency qualifications, i.e. holders should be competent but not proficient.

In my experience, most companies will have some kind of arrangement in place, no matter how informal. It has always been the case that experienced guys take the lead and less experienced guys learn from them. Even if mentoring is not via direct supervision on site, (in the later stages) it is really handy to be able to call a trusted colleague who will offer sensible advice without humiliating the youngster.

I don't think that having a more structured system can hurt... just as long as the dreaded paperwork doesn't get too silly!

• 2 weeks later...