How to get into ecology?

Samba

Hi, I've been in the industry for 10 yrs or so and am wondering how easy it is to get into ecology? I've done the RFS, tech cert and am studying an a level in environmental studies. I also help out an ecologist with bat surveys and have reached a manager level in tree work.

I've spoken to a few people and they have said I need volunteer experience, more volunteer experience and a degree. Does anyone know whether it is realistic for me to be an ecologist without a degree and has anyone succeeded in the same position as me? I enjoy tree work but my love of it is certainly waning as I get older :blushing:

tough industry to get into and yep i imagine a degree is an advantage, but its only one line on the cv - i did the ecology diploma with the Open University over 1 year way back but turned arb as i hated the prospect of a desk - you'll be up against lots of graduates ( a lot with masters). the experience you have gained already will be useful - with these things its knowing people (eg volunteering & networking) and then being ****-hot at the interviews when you get one.....good luck

As Arbmark says, a degree will be usefull, with the cuts in funding to government agencies this filters down the charities and wildlife trusts so it is a buyers market and you'll be amazed at the numbers of applicants for these type of jobs.

Volunteering is a must for experience, doesnt mean you have to give up a day or more a week. Get in touch with your local wildlife trusts and any wildlife charities nearby. They are always doing surveys of some kind. For example I do the adders in decline down here in Kent as well as the Great Crested Newt monitoring. Only takes a few hours every couple of weeks.

It shows your willing and passionate about it! And yes getting to know people from different companies will be a bonus when jobs come up.:thumbup1:

Thanks guys, I am going to try to do some great crested newt surveys and try to get my bat handling license. I've also contacted a few local trusts about volunteer work. I have always wanted to work in Ecology, but like most people got a bit lost along the way. I feel like I at least have to give it a try, even if it just ends up as voluntary work forever, at least I will be learning and doing something I love. Cheers for the advice :001_smile:

I have a degree in ecology, but after graduating found that the only realistic chance of getting work in the field was to volunteer for years, or do a masters/pHD or both! Thinks have changed since I graduated and before the downturn there seemed to be more work for ecologists.

That's interesting... I'm an ecology graduate who is now working in arboriculture!

Ditto the other guys on volunteering, I learnt at least as much "in the field" as a volunteer and subsequently a paid ranger as I did at uni doing the degree. Having said that a qualification is very useful, especially with all the competition, so have a look at maybe doing a HND in countryside management/environmental science/ecology or similar.

Contact the National Trusts, Wildlife Trusts and smaller environmental organisations (like local rivers trust etc) and see what they're doing. If you're interested in something in particular then find out who in their organisation does that (e.g. bat surveys/GIS) and help them out. Also contact your local authority to see if they have a wildlife officer, I volunteered doing ecology surveys with mine in Leeds.

Also, have a think about whether you can afford to do a long-term volunteer placement. It's not ideal but it's more useful than "ad hoc" volunteering. For instance I had volunteering experience before leaving uni, but when I left I did a full-time 5 month placement with a Wildlife Trust - I got expenses for travel and some food paid for, it was a recognised placement/scheme, and it definitely helped me get my first job a few months after finishing.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure that doors will start opening soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...