On the market

Clubmurder

Hi Chaps.

Wondering if anyone was willing to offer a bit of advice to a newby?

Completely new to the arb industry at the 'young' age of 30, and am looking for an 'entry level' chainsaw to buy afer Christmas.

Been recommended Stihl MS260 from a farmer mate of mine, but has anyone got any suggestions that I could consider.

Not quite decided what where I want to be in the business just yet, so something that is all round insofar as power/weight/durability would be ideal. From reading these forums it seems everyone has their favourites, but I would be hugely grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

Also, does anyone know if Arb students can get discounts at suppliers generally? Studying for my degree, so cash aint exactly what you would call free flowing right now.

Thanks for reading.

Stu - York

260 is a solid reliable saw, very light and nice for use around the chipper I never had any issue with mine, consider also a husky 357 or 346.

That said, for versatility and as a non climber my choice would be a 372, or 441/ 460 light enough to easily use all day and the power to pull a decent bar for felling, stick 15" or 18" on and it is really quick cutting and handy.

stu, if you're at askham bryan college get yourself to harlands at green hammerton. they'll sort you out with advice and a discount, if not you could try ripoff (ripon) farm services.

Cheers bruv. Yeah I am at Askham, so will definitely give Harlands a go. Just down the road from me anyway.