Its official - the Bugatti Veyron is crap

Mr Ed

Anybody see Top gear? The stig finally got his hands on the veyron, and despite it having 1000bhp, it could ony post 5th fastest time on the power lap board, with a time of 1.184.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9VHkLjq5Q[/ame]

So, not only is it hidiously ugly, its slow aswell. Nice one VW:001_smile: - especially as it costs VW over £1.1 million to build one:ohmy:

Now what really makes me laugh, is that a small british car builder, Ultima, can sell you a car for under £50k, the Ultima GTR 720...

That will do the same lap in 1.12!:scared1: check it out -

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAoT427ft1A[/ame]

Anybody else a piston head?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but to be fair the ultima is just a seat and a shed load of horsepower, the veyron is a different ball game. I think it did well on the track considering the weight of the thing. The top gear track is designed by lotus, it favours cars that handle well. There are quite a few big power cars down the board that you would have thought would do well...the ferrari 575 for example did a 1.36, a massive 18secs slower than the veyron...The veyron was designed to be 1000bhp, and to be able to run that power all day long. It's a masterpiece imo..:001_smile:

but to be fair the ultima is just a seat and a shed load of horsepower, the veyron is a different ball game. I think it did well on the track considering the weight of the thing. The top gear track is designed by lotus, it favours cars that handle well. There are quite a few big power cars down the board that you would have thought would do well...the ferrari 575 for example did a 1.36, a massive 18secs slower than the veyron...The veyron was designed to be 1000bhp, and to be able to run that power all day long. It's a masterpiece imo..:001_smile:

Hmm, have to disagree with you on a few points -

1. the Ultima has leather seats, full wilton carpets, aircon, posh hifi, the works. its also giving away nearly 300 hp to the veyron.

2. according to Clarkson, that track is supposed to be biased towards big power cars.

3.VW will not allow the veyron to race, as it says in the manual that if its run at full power, it needs to stop every 2 hours to cool down.

I think the Veyron is a fantastic technical exercise, but way to complicated. 4 banks of 4 cylinders? 64 valves? 8 cams? W16 quad turbo? way to much.

The Ultima uses an old fashioned Chevy V8, single cam pushrod engine...

But a tonne of what? mainly over complicated engine and 4 wheel drive. It has a composite carbonfibre shell (I think), so why so much heavier, if ultimately its so much slower?

the trouble is you are trying to compare a race car and a road car...The ultima 720 is little more than a race car made road legal and dressed up. The veyron is 100% a road car, a grand tourer (GT).. It was never designed to go on the track. It was designed with a strict set of specifics in mind. To be 1000bhp, to do 250mph and to be as stable and refined as a rolls royce...something which teh ultima does not have to conform to. Lets be fair the ultima 720 is a pure thoroughbred race car, it has one of the, if not the, highest power to weight ratio's of any road legal production car...it's 900kg for gods sake...Thats the same as a citroen saxo..:001_tongue:

I've not driven either but when I do I will get back to you...:001_tongue:

Any car manufacturer out there can build a car that goes like the ultima if they wished, it's all about power to weight, thats it...

Did you see the top gear episode when james may drove the veyron at 253mph down that test track..??..It was as smooth as silk, not a noise or wobble in sight...Did you watch the vid you posted above of the ultima rattling and squeaking it's way up to the lights on the way to the TG test track..??

Look at the top of the lap times board, the nearest GT to the veyron is the Mclaren merc at 1.20.9..and another 2secs down is ferrari's effort...The top 15 or so cars on that board are extremely light and extremely powerful, and the only one that sticks out form the crown is the veyron, and that is due to it having 1000bhp. It's a 2 tonne cruiser that does 0-190mph in 16secs...with no drama whatsoever.

If its smooth as silk you want, buy a Bentley continental. For what the Veyron costs, I could buy a continental AND an Ultima for about a quarter of the Bugatti.

So the Veyron was smoth at speed - does'nt change the fact that its heavy and over complex. And if any old manufacturer could build the ultima, why dont they?