Bit of a Monster

welwell

This beauty is a Monterey Pine, as you can see it's a whoppa!!! Climbed it the other day to inspect that huge bit of dead that you can see a the top. Bigger that the 044 with a 26inch (I think) bar on I wonder just how tall it would have been with the top still in. On the way up I passed two woodpecker dwellings numerous drays and a bee's nest.

The part that looks like a young vigourous tree at the bottom is actually the lowest limb which has hit the ground layered gone up hit the ground again and layered again!!

The big limb had to be removed because it had a huge (as everthing on this tree was) hazard beam along it and under it was a very rare Magnolia.

Great tree, great views, great job. The kind that makes all the kack stuff worthwhile.

I suggested fencing the bottom of the tree off to protect the roots as this is is a garden open to the public and leaving as much of the dead up there as poss.

SNV11966resized.jpg.43d7b6312274f833aa6aa3f2b56da919.jpg

SNV11973resized.jpg.f53c96a80429942f3daf6e86c103a656.jpg

SNV11964resized.jpg.64f48cf52bbeb8c73a04d72b484389ca.jpg

nice work...

plenty of big montys in my neck of the woods... i like the way they dont get old gracefully, but prefer to lose tree sized limbs from their tops, keeps me busy...

i look after a wooded estate with 30 or so big montereys around the perimeter... 4-7ft diameter and in a steep valley, we lose one every few years to wind making an un-godly mess of the woodland beneath them...fun, fun, fun

It was a brute of a tree, and as pointed out earlier growing old disgracfully, rips, tears, deadwood, the works a real pleasure to be up. But gotta say gave me a real workout..........I'm a little out of shape these days!!!!!

"Is it "Pinus Radiata"?

"The deadwood can make great firewood if it has seasoned on the the Tree.Wood from old specimens burns pretty well too."

I think it is indeed a Pinus radiata