Slightly O/T - Any farmers about?

Stereo

Hi

I farm 1200acres of organic dairy and arable and do some contracting. Also just hoping to contract farm another 600acres, so were fairly medium sized by modern day standards.

In my opinion, and i'm not trying to belittle what ur doing as I impressed your even considering it, but i don't think your going to support your family off of 60acres however you do it. You may find buying the land, and running a flock of sheep (there making good money at the moment, I hate sheep with a passion by the way!) and putting into an agri-enviroment scheme and with the SFP as well you may be able to earn enough to have some small farming lifestyle. But I personally think you'll have to still keep working to support your family, I suspect what your earning now is quite a nice income and you live quite a well balanced happy lifestyle. Just remember farming will never be easy, but its always pleasure. I wouldn't change it for the world, but when you look at the hours we all put in to run our operation and the return we get its not exactly a well paid job.

Good luck if you do decide to do it, but my opinion is you'll never make enough to fully support you family from farming 60acres alone.

:biggrin:

That comment is spot on. Less than 200ac and I think you will really struggle to do anything but hobby farm.

If you buy it and trying to make a serious living then i would forget farming and look at diversification; yurts, teepees - whatever grabs your fancy.

Sam.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree but would probably push it up to 500 acres, it all depends on what you do/grow, i know a chap in warks. who farms 1500 and has a 9-5 job too. he get harvest contacted by a neighbour and does the rest nights and weekends... he works hard and it pays off

I do plan on keeping my business in the medium term. We run it from a converted barn across the yard so it's on site. I was really looking for a way to justify buying grazing land at £8000 p/a. I can't see anything that would produce enough income from 25 extra acres to support a £150k loan.

I suppose going down the route of rare breeds etc. is the only realistic way to make a bit of money. There is already a solar and wind farm proposed nearby and this is contentious enough so I'm not sure how that would go down!

At the end of the day I doubt 60 acres over 35 will make a huge difference to this sort of operation. Plus I have to find in the region of £150k to buy it which is a lot of cash.

that sounds very expensive to me? 30 acres for 150K? 12 just sold next to us guide price 55k sold for 32k! we didn't bother as its horrible steep ground not fit to do anything with it.

Thats the lower end estimate where we are. Small packets go for 15k an acre around here.

the price of land is levelling out at the moment, it wasn't possible to carry on rising up at the rate it was. A 32ac parcel sold at one of our grasslet auctions earlier this month for £3800pa, 6 months ago it would have been £4.5-£5k!

buy it get some sheep,and crack on single monetary payment isnt a lot but helps.One thing to remember is they dont make land anymore so it will increase in value,if you have to sell it in the future you should make on it.and at least you have tried.Plus if you rented it off it is a little income say£150 an acre but you have it as an investment imo.

I have 20 sheep last year all had twins apart from 2.Averaging £60 each this helped us with bills at the backend of the year when work was quiet.

So my oppinion is buy it if you can afford :)

My sentiments exaclty. Afford is the problem. I just couldn't afford to service a debt of that size unless I could genenerate an income to match at least most of the interest, probably around 8k a year alone. How can I make £8k from 25 acres of steep grazing land, working part time on it? I wish I knew the answer and I know you are right about them not making it any more. We sold off 250 acres in the 90's and it hurts to this day. We'll probably never get that back.

One thing I have learned is that the truly wealthy people are the ones who keep assets, not sell them. I just can't see a way to keep this one. Dammit.

Would there be any chance of forming some sort of syndicate with family or friends??

You could all work the land as and when time allowed and share any profits made.

That way you could follow your dream in a fashion and at least the land would not be totally lost.

Its maybe not idea and there are pitfalls that need to be avoided, but it just might work.