Awesome little forwarder.

Buzz

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone who runs one of these Alstors. he brings it to site behind a L200 pickup or something, and he's shifted 30 tons in a day, though he does work very hard. Although not cost effective compared to bigger kit on a lot of sites, it's incredibly nimble, and doesn't leave the site looking like a WW1 battleground.

However, that's a huge wad of money to be tied up in a machine that will only forward. You could get some sort of compact tractor plus trailer for that, and then the tractor's available for other implements.

I wonder why this small kit is so expensive..it it because they are not produced in the same numbers as bigger stuff, or is it because the intended market is relatively wealthy small wood owners and hobbyists etc. who would find bigger stuff a bit of a handful?

picture and price, ????

PM sent

I very much doubt, that many of these machines have to earn their keep, more of a rich mans play thing.

I'm not sure about the Alstor or Vimek mini forwarders but with or small scalle stuff we deal with all ends of the market from Forestry contractors, Arb companies, Coppice workers, Willdife trusts, FC, Natural England, Woodland Trust etc and yes there's always a few who just want something to use in their wood.

Small stuffs never going to compete tonne for tonne, but on some sites you either can't or won't get bigger machinery in - it's like anything - putting the right machine on the right job.

PM sent

I'm not sure about the Alstor or Vimek mini forwarders but with or small scalle stuff we deal with all ends of the market from Forestry contractors, Arb companies, Coppice workers, Willdife trusts, FC, Natural England, Woodland Trust etc and yes there's always a few who just want something to use in their wood.

Small stuffs never going to compete tonne for tonne, but on some sites you either can't or won't get bigger machinery in - it's like anything - putting the right machine on the right job.

OK point taken.

I will rephrase my statement, Much of that equipment would struggle to earn its living in a truly commercial situation.

Much of the work you mention above is very heavily subsidized.

OK point taken.

I will rephrase my statement, Much of that equipment would struggle to earn its living in a truly commercial situation.

Much of the work you mention above is very heavily subsidized.

I don't disagree - however there will alway be a need for smaller equipment - you wouldn't drag an 880 up a tree every time. :grinning-smiley-003