Mini pulley for light rigging?

will.morris

Recently bought a DMM hitchclimber pulley for my VT. But I was wondering as the unit is rated to 30kn (I assume thats the breaking load limit not the working load limit), is there any reason why you can't use them for rigging small branches/sections with a climbing rope?

Was just curious as I have a job coming up to take down two ~40ft beech trees but they overhang a house, a conservatory, a paving slab path and an AGA oil tank, with each target under each 1/4 of the tree. Would be good to know if I can use the hitchclimber pulley as it will be a lot easier than using a heavy duty pulley block and line each time.

The plan would be to get the limbs off and under the tree so i can just chog and drop the stem in small sections.

Any views?

rigging /climbing rope .......NO

using equipment for climbing after being used for rigging........NO

the HC is designed for both climbing and light speedline/rigging applications but by no means the same piece of equipment should be used for both, have you not got a light 12mm/13mm Lowering Rope?

and as rob has said pinto rig is an excellent pulley for light rigging

Yes it can be used, no worries, but as said once its used for rigging it stays for rigging so it should be marked as such. Use anything you like within the rated limits (including safety factors) so the HC is good for 300Kgs which is way more than your old climbing rope (200kgs roughly) so both ok for small jobs, but no shock loading!

No I havn't because I normally just work as a climber or groundsman for various tree surgeons on an as an when basis as I'm still studying. This is just a job for a friends parents that knew what I did, so I can't justify buying any kit for it.

I'm only talking about say maximum of 10ft sections with a diametre no larger than a coffee mug, which is why I could'nt see why it would be putting too much strain on it.

I can get the pulley higher than the butts being tied so it would be static loading not dynamic.

Does this change your view?

Will , is your life really worth so little ?

No no not at all mate, I do very much like being alive :001_tt2: But I have only been climbing for 18monthes and i was just looking at the load ratings and saw that it was high enough and was curious. But people have advised me not to use a unit for climbing after rigging so I will take this as a lesson learnt :001_smile: Query asked, situation solved ... this is why I ask questions, cheers guys :thumbup1:

You could pick up a 3 strand rope off ebay for around 20 quid [search 'polysteel rope'] & a 50KN ISC pulley for about the same and there's a basic lowering kit. 3 strand poly rope doesn't like heat so not great on friction devices [that said I used mine on the portawrap without incident, but it's not as good as proper double braid or whatever] but will do the job happily in occasional use... my poly rope's used just for tag lining really.