MS 880 big bar v smaller

Rupe

quite possibly,especially cross cutting/ringing up,just watch the ground,takes some getting used to.as tree beard says i think its a torque thing.i have a 25" bar too for mine and although fun it feels awkward and harder to cut straight,better off with a 441 or 460 on 3/8.i'm thinking of selling my 88 as its use is getting more infrequent,but then i would have to change my user name to the460man :ohmy:

AAAAAaaarrrrggghh, dont sell the 88, you'll feel so inadequate!! The biggest saws in my stable rarely come out, but when they do they are irreplaceable.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most large saws do not get a lot of running time. One reason they last forever--almost."

Agree,

Very rarely for the odd really big wood I borrow a 3120 from my uncle, not once have we both needed it at the same time. The saw is 5 years old and in this time has barely done more than a months worth of cutting days.

AAAAAaaarrrrggghh, dont sell the 88, you'll feel so inadequate!! The biggest saws in my stable rarely come out, but when they do they are irreplaceable.
i know you're right andy but got home tonight to a nasty tax letter/demand and it's the 88 or the ifor williams tipper,needs must,i'm absolutely gutted if i'm honest,to the point of being very emotional (i joke regularly but not this time) if any of you boy's after a top notch barely used 88 the e-bay number is 290278823555 :sad:

got ms66 with 25" bar for the big stuff, kept sharp just as good as ms88 less weight less vibes! i learnt lot off the old school felling big beech,es. round your butt up with the 15" bar finsh with 25" old beech trees with 100 yr old flute in them nack a big chain pretty quick takes 2 mins sharpen a 15 can take 20+ to do a big chain properly

got ms66 with 25" bar for the big stuff, kept sharp just as good as ms88 less weight less vibes! i learnt lot off the old school felling big beech,es. round your butt up with the 15" bar finsh with 25" old beech trees with 100 yr old flute in them nack a big chain pretty quick takes 2 mins sharpen a 15 can take 20+ to do a big chain properly

What?? Didn't get a word of that, speak slower please!

I used to run 24" and 30" bars on an 084 quite sucessfully in the woods. One large saw for felling and another lighter saw for siding up.

I only have a 48" on my 880 but when the need arises I would not hesitate to change to a shorter bar. ( its cheaper to have another bar than another saw.)