Stihl 084

Jonathan O'Leary

Morning all.

Yesterday finialy got to take down a conifer that had been booked in for two months, nothing special, too tight to drop trunk as had just put decking down so asked for nothing to fall on it, trunk was about two and a half foot wide so got to break out my 084 and just cut trunk in two and pass down to groundie.

All going perfect until I heard what can only be described as a high pitched scream coming from the saw, power dropped, running lumpy. Stopped her straight away, gave her a look over, cleaned out air filter, turned her over and found a screw from the head laying between the case and handle mount, think all four bolts have come out and the head is just bouncing on the piston.

So guys the bit I need help with is, can I re-thread the case or would this weaken them and cause them to split and crack or do I need to start saving up for a new 880?

Thanks for all advice and sorry for the long story

There are a couple of ways of doing this - Helicoil or insert.

Helicoil is easiest - you drill out the hole, re-tap it and then insert a stainless spring type helicoil thread and this locks in to place - I usually bond it with super glue or JB weld. The downside is that the repair can be weak, especially if the bolts are inserted and removed often.

With an inset, you need to ensure the surrounding land is enough to put in the thicker insert, you do the same as the helicoil and then put in a carbon steel inset, some have locking tabs that stop the thing coming out again, some have impregnated resin to lock tham in place.

The saw is far from scrap, God knows how all four screws came out at the same time:confused1:

You will need to be a bit of a whizz at engineering to do this job.

I would make sure that piston and cylinder are still serviceable before doing this!

So guys the bit I need help with is' date=' can I re-thread the case or would this weaken them and cause them to split and crack or do I need to start saving up for a new 880?

[/quote']

Why not just send to spudulike on here and get a quote from him to do work? I think he has done a few of the members saws on here with good results.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry for late reply had problems staying logged in for a few weeks? Put new head bolts in and 3 took straight away, not sure about the 4th. Ran it up for a test and running sweet for the mo. Just gotta do one more job with it and then i might have to send it off to Mr Spud the lovely lovely man. Thanks for all the replys.