Alternative rigging pulleys

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate, the load can certainly be spread over one or more redirects to lessen the load on any one rigging point. Whether this is practical is up to you/the tree/your team....

Even if two redirects are level with each other as you mentioned, the force exerted on either rigging point is less than it would be with only one rigging point due to opening up of the angles and lessening the mechanical advantage.

Just like when you set up a SRT line with a base tie to access the tree, if you run the rope parallel to itself and tie off you will exert a force of twice your weight on the anchor. However if you run the tail end of the rope off at an angle and tie it off to an adjacent tree then by opening the angle you have lessened the mechanical advantage and are now placing less than twice your body weight on the anchor point.

• 3 weeks later...
You can sometimes drop on a good steel pulley that's been used in the shipping trade on the bay . I have a few small steel pulleys which came off a large sailing ship. They were used for rigging . Anyhow that old 4x4 snatch block took some abuse off us lot . It would also allow up to 19mm rope without a problem . Think we just welded a plate either side so it could not fall apart :lol:

Just a thought - this kit must be submitted to a competent person for a thorough inspection at least once each year.

Any equipment for which you cannot prove compatibility or conformity should be recorded on the inspection sheet as not fit for purpose - that would make any investment in that equipment a waste of money.

If you source, purchase, configure and use your equipment sensibly you will set yourself above the 'cowboy' tree worker and contribute to improving standards in the industry which will lead to a general improvement in rates/earnings which will enable you to invest in better equipment on a more regular basis.

Good kit, well maintained, will last longer, makes your job easier, more productive and safer.

Can't see any negatives in there.

• 1 month later...
Are there any viable (cheaper:001_tongue:) alternatives to using ISC or DMM pulleys, these are expensive custom arb kit, but there are plenty of rated pully's on the market that are not specifically arb intended.......I like the pedigree of ISC and DMM, but dont like the cost, especially for kit thats not used a lot, any thoughts or ideas, or is anyone using a non arb pulley ?????

Mark

I'm not sure what to say. are you really put of from buying something that has been designed and tested for its intended use, just because it's over £50.

This is a wind up for sure.

If you want something that will save you money buy the sml impact block.

Why? The rounded edges will limit the wear on your rope.

I only say this as your wanting to save a few squid.

I'm not sure what to say. are you really put of from buying something that has been designed and tested for its intended use, just because it's over £50.

This is a wind up for sure.

If you want something that will save you money buy the sml impact block.

Why? The rounded edges will limit the wear on your rope.

I only say this as your wanting to save a few squid.

could not agree with you more stuart, but i will say that the new isc pulleys are just as smooth now mate, think your sponsors maybe liking your post for that one.....:sneaky2::biggrin:

I have sponsors, wahoo I'm a charity case!

Yes the new ISC blocks have smooth edges too, but I'd still reckon the impact block will last longer.

Adam you going to the uk tcc

maybe for the saturday mate, i aint competing though mate, my fitness is far from comp mode yet.....:blushing:

next year could be my return after 11 years .....not that i was any good back then....:laugh1: we will see,

as for the DMM block i think yes they have and are on to a winner....but do i think its over priced? yes i do......for anyone on a budget the new isc is an absolute must in the rigging kit.......failing that you could be one of the crew and nip to B&Q .....:sneaky2:

Dmm must have a justification for the price of the impact blocks but do people have the money to justify buying one?......only time will tell mate....

oh yeah will old trevor(dad) be going to the uk tcc mate?