what do make where you are?

cot

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi one of the other students on my course is surveying what people in the forestry and arb sector make up and down the country. As he’s in forestry he asked me to put a post on here to get your views.

He’s looking for wages for –

• Employed

• Sub-contractor with own kit

• Sub-contractor with out kit

What about self-employed climbers/groundies that I am sure makes a vast majority of us here, me for one.

And how can you sub-contract without kit it does not seem possible?

Whats the reason for this survey?

Unfortunatly there is not enough money in this sector in the UK, we as skilled individuals do not get get half what we are worth, how to change this I do not know:confused1:

What about self-employed climbers/groundies that I am sure makes a vast majority of us here, me for one.

And how can you sub-contract without kit it does not seem possible?

Whats the reason for this survey?

Unfortunatly there is not enough money in this sector in the UK, we as skilled individuals do not get get half what we are worth, how to change this I do not know:confused1:

Your 90 percent right. But I sometimes use at weekends a guy who works full time for an electric company. So apart from ppe he doesn't have his own climbing kit on jobs. Doesn't mean that he is significantly cheaper than any other semi competent climber.

Your 90 percent right. But I sometimes use at weekends a guy who works full time for an electric company. So apart from ppe he doesn't have his own climbing kit on jobs. Doesn't mean that he is significantly cheaper than any other semi competent climber.

:confused1:

I thought a sub-contractor undertook other companies work with there own kit in the way they want to, they work under their own PLI and also have ELI for the staff they have with them.

I am a self employed climber who works for many companies, I work under their pli and eli doing the work with their kit/staff (i have my own climbing kit/saw).

I should also have my own pli for cases of vicarious liabilty, which basically means if someone emplys me to dismantle a tree using rigging, and I straight fell it through the house I could be held responsable for undertaking the job to a different spec than I was employed to. If I take all due precautions carrying out the work to the spec I was told to by the person that employed me, then it comes under their insurance.

Edited by Marc

:confused1:

I thought a sub-contractor undertook other companies work with there own kit in the way they want to, they work under their own PLI and also have ELI for the staff they have with them.

I am a self employed climber who works for many companies, I work under their pli and eli doing the work with their kit/staff (i have my own climbing kit/saw).

I should also have my own pli for cases of vicarious liabilty, which basically means if someone emplys me to dismantle a tree using rigging, and I straight fell it through the house I could be held responsable for undertaking the job to a different spec than I was employed to. If I take all due precautions carrying out the work to the spec I was told to by the person that employed me, then it comes under their insurance.

Sorry if Ive confused you... Cos I don't know what the hell your asking me... But then I'm blonde. Basically my point was, sometimes at weekends I have a guy in who doesn't have all the kit as he has to leave his saws and ropes etc at work. So he uses my stuff.

Edit, also I don't see if it matters who's kit the sub contractor is using. A self employed groundsman won't take his own chipper.

Edited by samthescam

Hi one of the other students on my course is surveying what people in the forestry and arb sector make up and down the country. As he’s in forestry he asked me to put a post on here to get your views.

He’s looking for wages for –

• Employed

• Sub-contractor with own kit

• Sub-contractor with out kit

For the different job types-

• Climber

• Second climber/groundie

• Experienced groundie

If you could put where your from what job you do and how much you earn that would be great if you know what other jobs make in your area that would be even better thanks

So he wants us all to spend our own free time doing his project for him, but he can't even be arsed to take 5 minutes to sign up on here and post it himself.

:sneaky2:

I believe "stick it" is the term.

Sorry if Ive confused you... Cos I don't know what the hell your asking me... But then I'm blonde. Basically my point was, sometimes at weekends I have a guy in who doesn't have all the kit as he has to leave his saws and ropes etc at work. So he uses my stuff.

Same here, I'm blonde as well.:biggrin:

I use a bloke sometimes who has none of his own kit at all. He's a lorry driver but enjoys playing with wood when he can, thus... sub-contractor without kit.

He gets paid peanuts, just like me:001_smile:

I use a bloke sometimes who has none of his own kit at all. He's a lorry driver but enjoys playing with wood when he can, thus... sub-contractor without kit.

Glad I'm not the only one then... Have a guy who's a fencer by trade but comes into help out when he's quite. Not a ticket or a days training to his name, but wipes the floor with most "trained" people I know. And I know that people are going to rip into me for admitting that, but oh we'll, I'll continue living my life and making money and they can get upset on Internet forums.

Edit, also I don't see if it matters who's kit the sub contractor is using. A self employed groundsman won't take his own chipper.

The guy you get in is not a sub contractor then is he, niether is the self employed groundsman without a chipper.

NOT a sub contractor, hes working for you.