Chainsaw Quandry

Mr Org

I have a problem (my wife would say more than 1). I own mint Stihl 070 which was my Uncles, bought for the farm and never used, it is as new. I use it on the mill as its .404 I use it for work but only on average every 4 weeks when we do a 'big' tree (36" and 25" bar for it).

I run a 357xp and 441, was going to sell the 070 so that others who work with me could use a bigger saw (no chain brake so don't let them on it), and the weight and vibe are vertabrae punishing.

Wanted to change the 070 for a 660, but...after talking to Stihl dealer and Stihl technical both raved about what a good saw the 070 is and how they still make them for Brazil for big hardwood logging.

Dilema - pay £800+ for a lighter more managable saw that is not used daily or keep the noisy beast that makes me smile but aches my arms???

What would you do, opinions please?:confused1:

Thanks for the reply. Keen for this NOT to revert into the Husq vs Sthil debate as I like both. So just opinions as to if you would chop in an old like new torque ladden beast for a new lighter more managable super model, considering the use.:confused1:

by the way I know I won't get such a groovey logo on a modern saw

Just buy another saw and keep the 070, tell the misses after your purchase and only when you need her to stay in to meet the courier - that's what I do, always works - if she really kicks up, take her to the local for a plate of fish and chips:thumbup:

Who said romance was dead ? :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Just buy another saw and keep the 070, tell the misses after your purchase and only when you need her to stay in to meet the courier - that's what I do, always works - if she really kicks up, take her to the local for a plate of fish and chips:thumbup:

Expect to see 'blue tape' around your house soon Spud, been nice knowing you mate:sneaky2:

If you use the 070 every month - thats regular use to me, plus it's a spare working unit. For what you will get for it, keep it.

I do all my firewood cutting with an 090, so I am familiar with the problem.

To be honest, if you are using it for normal cross cutting, a 660 is a better saw than any of the 070, 090, 076 generation. They are heavy, noisy, vibrate like brutes and use a lot of petrol. On the +side they are pretty bomb proof and seem to last forever if reasonably cared for.

Where they excel is long bars and milling. They aren't particularly fast, but they have stacks of torque. With a 25" bar, a 660 will wipe the floor with any of them. At 36" it is more even, and if you ever need a 40" bar, then the old ones are best. For milling, the robustness counts for a lot. The 070 rev limiter is the choke - set to a very conservative 8500 rpm or so. So unless you're really stupid with the H setting, it is very hard to kill it.

For one use a month, I'd keep the 070. If you don't have the AV handles for it, then you could look for the parts on eBay - you occasionally get an AV wrecker on there. I got a very busted 070 2 years ago for £70 - but all the AV was intact, and went onto one of my non-AV saws.