Ropeguide installation

Tommy_B

Hi Guys.

I've had a play on a mate's ART ropeguide and am looking to get one myself. My question is, is it possible to install one from the ground or do you need to climb up and set it up.

I've been scratching my head for a while trying to work it out :confused1::confused1::alberteinstein:and have decided to appeal to someone clever er than me!!!

Cheers. Tom

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what I was thinking Peter!! There must be a way to do it, I just can't, for the life of me, get my head round it!! I must be having a mental block!! There is an explanation on how to lower one down when you've finished using one, but nothing on how to stick one up!!!

All fair points guys.

Dean, Would you not recommend one then? I had a go for about 10 minutes and instantly saw difference between that and normal cambium. Thought it was brilliant but was sounding out people that will have used one for more that me!!! Time isn't really an issue for me.

Jim, That was along the lines of what I was thinking!! "Just f**kin get up there and do it!!!" I've just got to the point where I have to know how its done!!!

Cheers Tom

If you like zero friction on your anchor point, buy one.

If you want to install a friction saver from the ground, stick with the two ring type.

I would not recommend the rope guide to everyone, I have one, I use it every day and I love it, but they do not suit every climber. I tend to access the canopy via a footlock line, and then set the RG when I get to the top. If you typically body thrust up the tree in the traditional fashion there is very little point using a rope guide.

There are other uses for it, but nothing that cannot be achieved without one.

If you really must know, here it is courtesy of another forum's forum member.

How to install your pulley-friction saver from the ground

1. Throw a throw line over the limb that you want to be your tie-in point.

2. Put one end of your climbing line through the pulley.

3. Attach both ends of the climbing line to one end of your throw line.

4. Put the other end of the throw line through the ring of the friction

saver and pull your climbing line over the branch/limb.

5. *If the tree is small enough (or your climbing line long enough), attach

the little harp on the end of your friction saver to the working end of

your climbing line right below the ring of the friction saver. This way

you don’t have to climb all the way up to your tie-in point if you don’t

have to.

6. Pull the whole contraption (climbing line and pulley) through the ring

and…

Work light and safe J,Wolter Kok ( [email protected]).

Dean, Would you not recommend one then? I had a go for about 10 minutes and instantly saw difference between that and normal cambium.

I can't fault them for being friction free, but the difference to me and my lockjack is not that noticable.

I would as Jim says rather climb to install a saver, simply because I like to inspect things on the way up. The retreival is far too faffy for me plus I don't like the way is clatters off all the branches on it's way down.

I'll keep hold of it and use it again no problem but if I turned the clock back I wouldn't have spent so much money getting one for what it is.