Louise

Louise

Hi everyone

I'm new to the site and I'm looking for some advice, I have about 10 acres of land in Northumberland. Part of the land is wooded, about an arce of semi natural ancient woodland, its obvious that it has been managed and coppiced in the past but a very long time ago, as some of the tree are beginning to die and fall down, 90% of the trees are Alder. I have so many questions to ask, so here goes

is there a way to make some money from coppicing the tree? obviously I don't have a chain saw myself, although I do have access to one but they scare me to death, anyway, are there companies or individuals that would come in and coppice some of the trees over a period of time and pay me a small percentage for the wood and then they can sell the wood on or do I pay someone to come in coppice the trees and then sell the wood myself? Hang on theres more

I am planning to use most of the land to plant christmas trees but would it be worth adding another acre or two of woodland to the existing alder wooded area, for wood production? Is 2 or 3 acres of woods any good I don't need to make a fortune i just need the land to start paying it way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks Louise:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Louise, there is nothing to be scared of using a chainsaw, with the right usage and ppe they are a very , very safe tool. Take the basic cs30/31 and do some of the coppicing yourself ( you know you want to ) :biggrin:

make sure u have sum1 wid u tho :)

Hi born2trot

i did do the basic training at college a few years ago and I'm still scared to death. They showed us the health and safety CD and it was like watch a horror movie, i finished the course but that was it

nice horse is he yours?

Hi born2trot

i did do the basic training at college a few years ago and I'm still scared to death. They showed us the health and safety CD and it was like watch a horror movie, i finished the course but that was it

nice horse is he yours?

Thats Jonjo a pure Dales pony , my pride and joy. He would pull a house down :thumbup:

I would love to do that, I use to have a clydesdale cross, he would have done it no problem but the old fella gone now, he was my pride and joy too.

Actual most of the trees have matured to a full size so is coppicing still the right term for cutting down mature trees and allowing it to grow from the base? sorry for my ignorance

It depends on what the material is worth to a coppicer, dependent on species, age, size. many will buy a stand of you and they use/sell the coppice to make their profit, It may be worth contacting someone up your way to speacializes in woodland management, they would look at it and give you a better answer, roughly how big are the trees in diameter?