Canoe cups

Baggy

Hiya

The ' voyageurs ' would have just been copying what they learned from the native indians . ELG may have info think he's from New England . :001_smile:

I would apper that the shape of these canoe cups varied a lot, their is a facinating read at the link below, including a photo of a 200 year old canoe cup that looks very like a shallow kuksa

http://webapps8.dnr.state.mn.us/mcv_pdf/articles/9_200-Year-Old_Canoe_Cup_Recovered.pdf

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya

I would apper that the shape of these canoe cups varied a lot, their is a facinating read at the link below, including a photo of a 200 year old canoe cup that looks very like a shallow kuksa

http://webapps8.dnr.state.mn.us/mcv_pdf/articles/9_200-Year-Old_Canoe_Cup_Recovered.pdf

Hi baggy, I dont think they would have varied alot certainly amongst people in the same canoe. Could you imagine someone with double the size of everyone else dipping it into the hooch ? lol Its on my bucket list to do some of the portages in Canada would be an adventure of a lifetime. There would be natives in Quebec that will kill you for one of those cups there that good imo :001_smile:

Hiya

Hi baggy, I dont think they would have varied alot certainly amongst people in the same canoe. Could you imagine someone with double the size of everyone else dipping it into the hooch ?

Very good point :-)

Its on my bucket list to do some of the portages in Canada would be an adventure of a lifetime.

I can't argue with that, it would be fantastic

There would be natives in Quebec that will kill you for one of those cups there that good imo :001_smile:

:blushing:...... :scared1:

Hi all

Comments from various forums re canoe cups/noggins

-----------------------------------------------------------

There is a facinating read at the link below, including a photo of a 200 year old canoe cup that looks very like a shallow kuksa

--------------------------------------------------

A couple of comments on canoe cups: A canoe cup was not so much for drinking as for food. A voyageur could easily get water, especially enroute, from the underside of his paddle. Take your paddle out of the water, and hold it at a 45 degree angle, blade vertical. Put your mouth against the underside of the blade and it will fill with water (at first, you may try to place the wrong side of your mouth against the paddle).

Voyageurs were either Mangers du Lard (pork eaters) or Hivernants (winterers). The Hivernants plied the "upper country" north and west of the Grand Portage. They used the Canot du Nord (about 24 foot canoes) and seldom returned to civilization. The Mangers du Lard paddled the Maitre canoes (about 36 foot) between Montreal and the Grand Portage (present day NE Minnesota).

Many of the original canoe cups were copies of the Ojibwe naagan – cross between a spoon and a bowl.

-----------------------------------------------------

Here is a youtube video about the "coupe du voyageur" or Voyageur cup.......with a bit of a history lesson to go along with stages of carving. Also did you search "noggin" when you looked for info?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKn6Jue2H4]coupe du voyageur - YouTube[/ame]

-------------------------------------------------------

They were basically carved by the paddlers along the way and came in all manner of sizes and styles, personalised by them selves some had carvings and patterns on etc, they were used to scoop water on the run and receive their Rum Ration in the evenings as far as I know

-----------------------------------------------

Hi baggy, Hudsons Bay company took over North West Company in 1821. One of my great heroes John Rae an Orcadian ( orkney man ) joined HBC shortly after. The company used orkney men for many generations because of their toughness and resoluteness for hardship. John Rae was all of that and more and was the first ' whiteman ' to recognise that the native eskimo were a peacefull and intelligent race and not 'savages' as they were then labelled. There is a great little book called ' Fatal Passage ' about John Rae and what life was like in ' The Great White North ' at that time. :001_smile: