site -specific risk assessment a few questions.

ms660isthebest

do you have to do a site specific risk assessment by law? (for contracting work and Miss jones back garden job)

If so you havent done one who is to blame if a accident occur?

If the work carried out was work postioning and i was the only one who could climb. There was no rescue climber. Do i write it down and work. Then will i be liable for any accident to myself. Or refuse to climb as there is no rescue climber.

Any comments or advice would a grateful :thumbup:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you asking as an employee being sent to do work with no AR qualified groundie?

If so I would say, yes, write it down and work anyway, or refuse to do the work and accept the fact that you might end up un employed. Not saying that would be right (you becoming unemployed) but it happens.

On site risk assessment is something that employees should do, or at least have the facilities to do, I dont think anyone believes they get done for every job. And if the boss is on site all day then its less important to write it down, but you should all be discussing any risks.

Also, remember that having a rescue qualified climber on site is not enough, that person has to actually be able to carry out the rescue and not just have passed it on the assessment and never climbed since, AND of course there needs to be kit available for the rescue.

You must do a RA, but if their are less than 5 of you on site it does not need to be a written RA, a verbal one is fine. Although if things go wrong how do you prove you did a verbal one????

An employer has a "duty of care" to his staff, this includes a means of rescue for a climber.

Yes Rupe im asking as a employee. But a health and safety guy turn up asking for a site specific assessment we didnt have one. (he wasn t happy) But the work was at ground level. But its for a big contract. What im trying to say if he turn up while im climbing with no AR man im i in trouble or is it by law that you have to have a AR man there?

You must do a RA, but if their are less than 5 of you on site it does not need to be a written RA, a verbal one is fine. Although if things go wrong how do you prove you did a verbal one????

An employer has a "duty of care" to his staff, this includes a means of rescue for a climber.

This is the law- like it or not

Blame the whiplash boys

Including who phone up many times asking you to claim and encouraging you to lie to get a payout.

You know who you are

And

if you have claimed then shame on you

have some integrity

Edited by skyhuck
language

So if there no AR man for climbing do i write this down on a risk assessment and refuse the work?

This is the law- like it or not

Blame the whiplash boys

Including who phone up many times asking you to claim and encouraging you to lie to get a payout.

You know who you are

And

if you have claimed then shame on you

have some integrity

Fair point... but... whoah dude, you sound like me when I get on it on Facebook....! :lol:

Edited by skyhuck
language in quote

Fair point... but... whoah dude, you sound like me when I get on it on Facebook....! :lol:

just had a recent experience with them calling us about 7 times- not taking no for an answer

Truth is there must be some out there who collude with them and force all our premiums up

And then we complain that our premiums are too high

Vicious circle

Bad makes bad

So if there no AR man for climbing do i write this down on a risk assessment and refuse the work?

Thats up to you.

On your RA you are going to struggle to provide suitable mitigation for the risks the climber is facing without a AR climber.