Amenity land?

I'm probably going to 'inherit' a 4 acre plot of land in the next year or so. It's not productive. It's the site of an old volcano (last in south west we are told). It has grass and it grows Oak like nothing else. That is all that grows there aside from some Hazel. So, it's like a 4 acre rocky field with outcrops and big oaks, brambles, some grass and a big old rock face of some ancient fame which you can sit atop and gaze in awe at the view.

It's maybe not worth a lot in farm terms. But it's very special. I went there today and there is 'something' going on. It's always been this way since we played there as kids. It's almost magical.

Anyway, enough of that. My view is that I'm not interested in the value of it but at the moment it's tucked away on private land and I have an idea to open it up to the public. I'm sure there are loads of folk from climbers to artists to hippies to free campers who can find something of benefit on this land. My idea is to plant it out in trees which will in 3-400 years become an ancient forest. A gnarly old mess of pure English nature. Mainly oak as that is what thrives here.

So, the question is that given there is a sheer rock face and some boggy land, what do I have to consider when opening it to all comers? Insurance? Liability? I can't be bothered with that but the truth is I would probably visit it once or twice a year and that seems a shame when most people are not gifted such a piece of land or have access to it.

I walked there today and saw no serioue money to be made but maybe a lot of people could get a lot of pleasure from it.

Ever walked somewhere and felt like you were walking in a dream? That is this place.

Hi Stereo,

You paint a very inviting picture, what neck of the woods are we talking about?

Personally I wouldn't plant willow but I would use Alder in the boggy areas. Oak prefers alkaline soils so if Oak is going mad I guess the outcrop is carboniferous limestone? If memory serves correct, Hazel prefers neutral to slightly acid soils.

Do you know the soil ph? It sounds unlikely that soil would have been taken to such a place but I would take various samples from each area just to be sure that you lknow the whole area for sure. One of these Amazon.co.uk: ph soil testing kit cheap and cheerful gizmos should do the trick.

I would also have a think about letting your local council or amateur ecology unit have a butchers before you change anything, just in case there is something that is protected in residence. You would be looking at a full year for a survey worth owt though.

All good stuff and you probably will not like what follows;-

My advice would be to think carefully before inviting the public in, as you have pointed out there is the question of liability to comsider.

Of more importance however is the effect that the public may have - by the sound of it one of the things that make this place a little special is that it is unspoilt.

It does not take many people to start making a mess, particularly if the place is not policed / wardened or generally kept an eye on. What is access and parking like in the vicinity - is there access off a road or do you have to cross someone elses ground to get to it? If the latter then I would suggest you discuss your plans with your neighbour(s) before actioning them.

Sorry to seem negative but there are some places up here that have cause to regret the open access rights that the great scottish public now have.

Cheers

mac

That's the worry. Access is off a remote country lane up a dirt track which would need to be improved as it's 4x4 only at the mo. The place is in south Devon and it's like a bit of dartmoor but off the moor.

It's been in my family for generations and nobody ever goes there, it's just rented as grass to the farmer next door. Seems a shame as there are probably loads of good sorts who would respect it and enjoy it.

Like you say though, it only takes a few. I would hate to go up and find beer cans and bog roll all over the place. It's not really big enough to be a feature so wardening etc is out of the question.

I guess I'll just leave it be, plant some trees and let it get on with it. We do get a lot of Hazel, Elm, Ash and Syc around here but up there it seems Oak dominates. I'm thinking maybe get a grant to plant it out in mainly broadleaf and let nature take it's course. We can always give permission for camping / artists etc on an individual basis. I wouldn't ever want to sell it. Doubt it's worth much to be honest.

Hate to tell you but you are sat on a gold mine. not literally but volcanic stone is in very high demand by the roadstone quarry companies. Planning permission on quarries are normally hard to get but exceptions are made for scarce resources like yours. Might be worth having a word with a geologist just to see exactly what you have.

Be that as it may, It's not going to be quarried on my watch. The type of rock is actually documented from the 19th century as being 'remarkable trapstone' with unique qualities but to give it's name would give away the location.

They'll dig this up over my dead body. I'm not interested in the money side of it at all. It will go to one of my boys hopefully one day. The one I can trust with it. I hope I never have to sell it.

I just want more people to stand on the top and look out over and maybe paint some pictures or write some songs or some hippy rubbish. It's got a power to it that I can't explain.

Be that as it may, It's not going to be quarried on my watch. The type of rock is actually documented from the 19th century as being 'remarkable trapstone' with unique qualities but to give it's name would give away the location.

They'll dig this up over my dead body. I'm not interested in the money side of it at all. It will go to one of my boys hopefully one day. The one I can trust with it. I hope I never have to sell it.

I just want more people to stand on the top and look out over and maybe paint some pictures or write some songs or some hippy rubbish. It's got a power to it that I can't explain.

LOved the passion in your words there stereo, good on you :thumbup: