Does the splice on your rope fit through your rope guide?

samthescam

Taken that into account. And also have read skyhuck and what he has to pay about not at thick as 26mm. However I truly don't think that any sort of reasonable splice will fit through it.

By the letter of the law and politicians arguments your correct. However I see art as a company who produce stuff to make your life easier... Having to pull all your rope through, clearly doesn't do that. If they simply stated that it's for 11mm line or developed a way of opening up the cocoon would make the product much better. And my way of business is to be honest about what I can do... If I do a bad job I might get paid but it's not a long view way to do business.

Or just cut the splice off and tie a not after passing the rope through the pulley.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stange, I think what Steve is getting at is cut the shroud off (very carefully) but maybe depending on the splice it may simply not fit through. Some will though, a colleague of mine has 13mm Samson and it fits through the Cocoon no problems

So it is compatible with 13mm rope just not all 13mm rope splice construction from the sounds of it.

The Cocoon is a sexy bit of engineering from ART but I think the Link is a better tool for this use. I've seen cocoons break on impact with hard surfaces, ok your not supposed to bomb it but lets face we do. I've also seen them develop razor sharp edges where the rope has worn the sides - not great on soft rope!

In that case I take it back about art. I wont be cutting bits of my rope, I'd rather spend a couple of hundred quid on a new rope than to wory about it. I dont know enough about rope construction to take it apart.

Or just cut the splice off and tie a not after passing the rope through the pulley.

I'm told that works badly with the spider jack. Like I said, I'd rath just get the right rope for the job. In relative terms over its like they cost peanuts.

If you can read that your smarter than me... iPads turn people dyslexic.

It don't want to work with my iPad... Can I email it to you?

How old is your Marlow rope? I'm not sure if its possible as I am no splicing expert, but it may be worth looking into, you could get the factory splice removed and have it re-spliced with a coreless splice. As from memory those Marlow factory splices are ugly dogs, does the splice itself have a protective sheath?

Like this one?

A New England splice like this one should fit no problems

new-england-high-vee.jpg.31853252c89b1bea4c4c7540c67006ba.jpg

marlow-gecko-13mm-spliced-eye-.jpg.b924f24b29a60b9385efa9a0ba4ef754.jpg

How old is your Marlow rope? I'm not sure if its possible as I am no splicing expert, but it may be worth looking into, you could get the factory splice removed and have it re-spliced with a coreless splice. As from memory those Marlow factory splices are ugly dogs, does the splice itself have a protective sheath?

Like this one?

A New England splice like this one should fit no problems

Its more like the first one. The rope is about 3 months old... It's not quite as clumpy as the one shown. Tbh I like the sheath feature as any sort of damage would make me cut the splice straight off due to the amount of pressure exerted there.

I have no idea how to splice and don't know anyone who would do it... The local places around here won't for insurance reasons. And I won't be waiting and using this rope for a few months waiting. I only climb a few days a week tops, but this would drive me bad. Would rather have the rope as a Spaire or let younger college guys use it as they seem to have none of there own kit when they do the odd days work .

I've emailed it to Steve so if he has time he might post it.