Allergy to Oak?

Big Joe

My mate Carps is suddenly allergic to something. Reaction is worst at home, particularly his bedroom, poor chap. Itchy rash, and the quack has him on 12 pills and carrying an epi-pen.

The first flare up immediately followed some carpentry on Oak boards he's been air-drying for 18 years. They had a black, sooty mould on them. I'm wondering if that might be some kind of ergot?

Does anyone have any ideas or similar tales?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers!

My mate Carps is suddenly allergic to something. Reaction is worst at home, particularly his bedroom, poor chap. Itchy rash, and the quack has him on 12 pills and carrying an epi-pen.

The first flare up immediately followed some carpentry on Oak boards he's been air-drying for 18 years. They had a black, sooty mould on them. I'm wondering if that might be some kind of ergot?

Does anyone have any ideas or similar tales?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers!

Yep according to my wife who's a nurse it's fairly common - go and see your GP

As an oak framer, I work with green oak and air dried oak on a daily basis, and have to say that Oak isn't that great for your health.

Besides being fecking heavy, the dust inflames the nasal passages, can cause cancer, gives you some very nasty coughs, and can burn the skin quite badly. I'll often come home and will be almost sun burnt looking. Summer time is even worse, when the sweat and dust mix on the skin. This week I have been doing a job which has created alot of dust and chip, and I have a rash on my neck and upper back from the contact and abrasion.

• 1 year later...