EON are scum bags

Dean Lofthouse

Investment probably due to under investment in previous years.

Top and bottom of it is....eon has been ripping me off by gradually creeping up the tariff until I am paying double what other eon customers are being charged.

My point is... Why do they feel the need to charge some customers twice as much as other customers for exactly the same product, when that product should be being sold at a standard rate to all its customers.

Top and bottom of it is they are robbing some folk blind and legally getting away with it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm genuinely curious - how much do you pay per unit then (for gas and electric)?

I think all the suppliers have to offer some kind of social tariffs (which will be below the average price) but obviously only to a certain proportion of customers.

My last two year deal has just come to an end in the middle of January so this has reminded me to go and update it; I will let you know what I find (p.s. there is no special discount for employees either!)

Never do direct debit with these companies. They will take out what they like, when they like.

Not quite. If you pay same DD amount each month, and using more gas or electric than that is covering, they have to inform you prior to changing DD amount. You can insist DD amount stays the same and pay the amount you've been underpaying by cheque. Same goes if they decide to reduce DD amount. With British Gas, at the end of the summer I've always paid for more gas and electric that I've used. They tell me that they are going to reduce my DD amount, but I just tell them to keep it the same as it means I don't fall behind in winter. Phoning in with regular meter readings will help them calculate the right DD amount. I know it's confusing witht he tarifs etc, but I don't think there's a deliberate attempt to get people to pay for more than they're using. It all comes out in the wash!

Dean - I assume your new company also charges a standing charge though, and that the E.ON price quoted was for the first 900 kWh per year?

I checked mine today and I am paying 23.6p for the first 900kWh and then 12.4p for the rest.

Say I use 4,000 kWh per year, but don't pay a standing charge, my total bill will be £597 or thereabouts.

If I get a tariff where I pay £100 a year but then 12.4p for every single unit, my annual bill is less than a quid different.

If you have got a tariff with those low unit rates and no standing charge, I'm surprised - I honestly doubt how the company would be covering its costs in the long term.

The paperwork hasn't,t come through as yet but we asked about the cooling off period just in case. Then if the tariffs work out near to each other once I have had a session on the calculator, I can decide to either swap or stick with eon.

If the tariffs do work out similar I will be back on here apologising with my tail between my legs :001_smile:

I'll be interested to find out how it goes!

I don't doubt that there are some differences between suppliers, but for a standard-ish consumption (between 3000 and 5000 kWh per year, say) and like-for-like payment method etc, I would be very shocked if the overall difference is anything like double.

The last I heard whilst I was working in the UK, E.ON was not focusing on being the outright cheapest, for example all of the call centres were brought back to the UK from India because the customers weren't happy with the service.

Personally I like being able to use £10 of Tesco clubcard vouchers to get £15 knocked off my electricity bill... :001_smile: