A couple of Rope Wrench Vids

Ian Flatters

Hi everyone,

I made these videos to be as honest as i could for me using the wrench. I didn't want to make a video making you think you'll be 90% quicker, 10 times more good looking and 3% cooler. Just an honest day to day use of it.

So i'll get down to the questions i've seen. Yes i have planned a limb walk to capture the movement but to be honest you tend the hitch rather than in DRT the slack or the line.

Going up is very quick and at a lot less effort. Working the tree is much better mainly because you don't worry about friction created from the running end of the line.

You do use more false anchor points/re directs but i have found this to be vastly beneficial to my work positioning, oh and my back and shoulders are thanking me.

Im really sold on the wrench and I'm not sure if I'm going back to DRT anytime soon. Its just easier with the wrench but you do have to learn a different climbing style.

Al the illustrate using it, thats all I'm not trying to make it out to be the holy grail, ascent wasn't handwork at all in fact i wasn't even out of breathe. Just looks inefficient because alder is bouncy, bouncy.

Oh yes I'm using the lockjack in a very tight system, i haven't had a chance to have a play with my spiderjack on it yet but apparently it is very, very good.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al the illustrate using it, thats all I'm not trying to make it out to be the holy grail, ascent wasn't handwork at all in fact i wasn't even out of breathe. Just looks inefficient because alder is bouncy, bouncy.

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply. Actually I didn't think you were trying to sell it as the holy grail mate. I just thought it looked like little upward progress for what seemed like a lot of effort. Are you losing progress due to slack produced by the wrench system?. Hard to see from the vids. Appreciate you posting them here by the way. Always very interesting to see different rope climbing methods.

Hi Al, i didn't mean the holy grail commit at you i was referring to how i filmed it in the video. sorry, i think i was taking too big steps as i was creating a bit of slack when raising the pantin up. But i have tried smaller steps and this seems to eliminate this and gives me more rhythm whilst moving up = i get there quicker. I looked at the rig you were talking about but haven't had the chance to play with one.

Hi Al, i didn't mean the holy grail commit at you i was referring to how i filmed it in the video. sorry, i think i was taking too big steps as i was creating a bit of slack when raising the pantin up. But i have tried smaller steps and this seems to eliminate this and gives me more rhythm whilst moving up = i get there quicker. I looked at the rig you were talking about but haven't had the chance to play with one.

Rig is not bad for an SRT ascent but nowhere as good I found as a chest strapped croll and hand ascender-footloop combi. You can Gain 3ft (depending on yer reach) on every pull and there's 0 slack in progress capture so whatever you can reach is exactly what you gain on each step.

Yep the croll and ascender is def the quickest ascent method but after doing some drop tests I'm now not such a fan for it in tree work . If you know you've got a bomb proof anchor then no problems but on big trees where your not sure due to distance then I er on the side of caution- ESP after having a anchor snaP on me last year. Also, I now like being able to work on the ascent which the wrench allows you to, a no no to work from ascenders in tree work. And no more change overs:)

I was working with Ian in the second video, and I can tell you the ascent to a working position was very smooth and rapid. I've had one go myself, on a day when I was not feeling 100% and was struggling with the technique, but I can totally see how much more efficient it can be with practice.

Great vids btw! :thumbup:

Yep the croll and ascender is def the quickest ascent method but after doing some drop tests I'm now not such a fan for it in tree work . If you know you've got a bomb proof anchor then no problems but on big trees where your not sure due to distance then I er on the side of caution- ESP after having a anchor snaP on me last year. Also, I now like being able to work on the ascent which the wrench allows you to, a no no to work from ascenders in tree work. And no more change overs:)

I agree there Drew, Croll and ascender it's the fastest and most efficient but unsuitable for working while in ascent mode. And yeah if you shock load them badly enough they will rip the sheath right off yer rope. (been there done that)