Tackling a large blown Sitka stand

We have the opportunity to bid to clear a large, flat blown Sitka spruce stand near to us.

It's as follows:

Around 1 hectare, perhaps a touch more. All trees overly mature, averaging 18 inches DBH, many over two foot, 80-90ft height. All flat blown to the deck, less than 5% still standing to any degree. Completely flat site, a little soft in places but mostly fine. Short extraction route.

If you were to hand cut it (ie, no harvester), what would be your approach?

My ideas so far include the use of a large tractor and winch, a reasonable sized forwarder (not sure the Alstor will cut it) and three to four folk on the ground on the saws snedding and cross cutting.

I know that a harvester would be an easier option, but with handcutting being our gig, we should be able to make it profitable. Additionally, I think that two foot plus stems are pushing it a bit for most cutting heads on harvesters.

Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

Get everyone there multiple wind blow ticket and get into it:biggrin:

Cut them off at the plate working from the top down then if you have the pulling power skid them out to an area and sned and convert them, after a couple are out, you can then then convert them where they sit, watch what you are doing with multiple windblow as they can have lots of side strain, I've seen one cave a guys ribs in when he cut it.

Sounds like a fun job though, I do like a multiple windblown site :biggrin:

hi J

tractor and winch, forwarder, hand cutters will be the most costly. dont know how far to stacking area, but we used to butt tree off pull to open area, drop it, let cutters sned, go get another tree, when u have 4 or 5, depending on how big they are. pull to stacking area Tip first, cutting off the logs/millwood first, with the rest firewood/chipwood dropped further along to be cross cut at end of day. if u have small forwarder it will save some time dragging.

Dont be tight with ur price... processing blown softwood when u have to use a tractor and winch is slow and costly

hav fun g

We have the opportunity to bid to clear a large, flat blown Sitka spruce stand near to us.

It's as follows:

Around 1 hectare, perhaps a touch more. All trees overly mature, averaging 18 inches DBH, many over two foot, 80-90ft height. All flat blown to the deck, less than 5% still standing to any degree. Completely flat site, a little soft in places but mostly fine. Short extraction route.

If you were to hand cut it (ie, no harvester), what would be your approach?

My ideas so far include the use of a large tractor and winch, a reasonable sized forwarder (not sure the Alstor will cut it) and three to four folk on the ground on the saws snedding and cross cutting.

I know that a harvester would be an easier option, but with handcutting being our gig, we should be able to make it profitable. Additionally, I think that two foot plus stems are pushing it a bit for most cutting heads on harvesters.

Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

Pay me more:001_tt2::lol:

David, stop moaning!

I'm quite looking forward to it if we can get it. Will be one mother of a log pile!

It's just the quality of the trees. I need a lorry load of the stuff, and figure we might as well process it.

I'll be able to get into the wood on Sunday after the shoot finishes, so I'll get some photos.

J

That wasnt a moan that was some sound advice:001_rolleyes:

You know i am in my element with the muffs on my ears, visor down and the saw in my hands, just point me in the right direction and press start:thumbup1:

I know - I was just being daft. I would pay you guys more if I could, but there isn't as much money in forestry as tree surgery, just more consistency!

Look at forestry as an investment for you - it might build you an appetite that causes you to gain a few stone!

SMG - it's butts stuck on stumps that are the real pain. There isn't too much else that frustrates. It is funny coming home at the end of the day with every item of clothing you're wearing stuck to you!

If you have the option you may find a decent sized digger a very useful weapon in this environment - the ability to grab and lift a stuck butt, lift cut off trees, knock rootplates back down and make or improve / maintain skidding trackways etc could be pretty useful.

Obviously you are unlikely to be able to make the job pay for one but if the landowner you are working for has one available I would mention it in the deal.

Cheers

mac