Speed Awareness Clinic.

PeteB

I've to attend another one this aft, the third in 10 years, the third for doing 36 in a 30 zone on a deserted road.............

The last one turned into points and a fine after I was late because of an accident which blocked the motorway and it took 120 minutes to do the 40 miles to the site. (I had only allowed 75). I refused to repay the course costs so the Police decided that I was a criminal.

In 10 years as a rep for GreenMech, I must have covered about 5 or 6 hundred thousand miles, so a motoring offence is more likely than, say, a peanut head in a stolen Corsa with no insurance, licence and a "Foxtrot Oscar" attitude.

Do I really need realigning, re-educating, punishing for a minor infringement when said peanut head can get off with points , a ban (on a licence which doesn't exist) and a fine which he will not pay for?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've to attend another one this aft, the third in 10 years, the third for doing 36 in a 30 zone on a deserted road.............

The last one turned into points and a fine after I was late because of an accident which blocked the motorway and it took 120 minutes to do the 40 miles to the site. (I had only allowed 75). I refused to repay the course costs so the Police decided that I was a criminal.

In 10 years as a rep for GreenMech, I must have covered about 5 or 6 hundred thousand miles, so a motoring offence is more likely than, say, a peanut head in a stolen Corsa with no insurance, licence and a "Foxtrot Oscar" attitude.

Do I really need realigning, re-educating, punishing for a minor infringement when said peanut head can get off with points , a ban (on a licence which doesn't exist) and a fine which he will not pay for?

I agree, I drive around 40k a year. Got hit on the A5 doing 72 in a 60mph on a straight road, no side roads, no footpaths, dry day, bright day, 08:30 on a Sunday morning on my way south to help a friend who was suffering from depression. I was in a car, and was probably lucky not to have been caught going faster.

Attended the course, had to endure a pathetic H&S fire safety briefing where we were told to muster by an Oak tree outside. After this we were told to identify ourselves. My speal started with informing the instructor it was a sycamore not an oak lol

Anyway, I digress, the course itself wasn't that bad. It would seem the majority of offenders were caught in built up areas where they take a very dim view of speeding due to the fact that a small increase in speed has a massive effect on the casualty should you hit someone.

As a IAM motorcycle rider I found the whole experience largely pointless, the instructor was clearly trying to use the statistics to prove his point.

Having said all of this, I would rather sit throw that ***p than take the points.

I did one in Manchester last year (Carrington IIRC). It was a fair cop, but 4 hours of the patronising double act which were supposed to be the instructors, was enough to wake me want to knaw my own arm off.

They did a good cop bad cop routine. The bad cop thought he really was a cop, instead of the Institute of Advanced Motoring cardigan wearing wannabe that he was. He dressed down one of the attendees to the point where I considered making a complaint.

I hear that some courses are quite good though!

I agree, I drive around 40k a year. Got hit on the A5 doing 72 in a 60mph on a straight road, no side roads, no footpaths, dry day, bright day, 08:30 on a Sunday morning on my way south to help a friend who was suffering from depression. I was in a car, and was probably lucky not to have been caught going faster.

Attended the course, had to endure a pathetic H&S fire safety briefing where we were told to muster by an Oak tree outside. After this we were told to identify ourselves. My speal started with informing the instructor it was a sycamore not an oak lol

Anyway, I digress, the course itself wasn't that bad. It would seem the majority of offenders were caught in built up areas where they take a very dim view of speeding due to the fact that a small increase in speed has a massive effect on the casualty should you hit someone.

As a IAM motorcycle rider I found the whole experience largely pointless, the instructor was clearly trying to use the statistics to prove his point.

Having said all of this, I would rather sit throw that ***p than take the points.

had the same here 34 in a 30, about 4 yards before the national limit sign, fuzz van hidden up a drive, bloke jumping out with gun....:cursing:

any way 80£ on course not a bad afternoon out, but pointless, basically trying to get you to slow down using stats. i asked a few questions they couldn't answer.... they didn't like that... i can't remember know what they were.... one pint is that if you don;t take the course in good grace they can fail you....so smile even if it is bollox....

in my opinion its a moneymaking scam, 25 folks morning and afternoon at 80£ a pop thats a few grand a day...the fuzz get to keep it too

Now I have a bit of time on my hands, I was thinking of doing something community spirited. And guess what they need volunteers to man the speed gun for the Community Speed Watch. The good thing is that the info is then passed onto the Police so they can deal with the offenders. I feel like Victor Meldrew today. :thumbup: I hate people speeding on my patch, especially when I'm incapacitated.:lol:

What annoys me is the sheer hypocrisy of the whole thing, roads are far to dangers to be acceptable, if they did not exist and some one came up this the idea today it would be laugh at as preposterous!!!!!!!

But because its evolved over time and is just the status quo its just accepted.