Starting from the Groundie

Treegeek

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years I've worked many different places, many different jobs, and I've started at the bottom at each place, learned the job, done my best, and moved on. I've seen places run in the "old school" ways. Abusive managers who thought the best way to get the job done is to bully their way. Didnt work! The "carrot" method, generous bonusses to those who worked hard, those who didnt left behind, causing division and bitterness in the workforce! Didnt work either.

Then a new and novel approach came in, pay people what they are worth to you. If they make you money, they benefit. If they cost you money, they lose out. If they all gel together as a team, then all will benefit, anyone who doesnt want to play in that team, can leave and play on their own!

Its a fact of life that some workers are really crap, they dont co-operate,gel, whatever. They want to go home at the earliest opportunity, they want to mistreat equipment,vehicles etc. What use is someone like that in your company? I.E. they are crap and dont deserve the job. It isnt fair on the team to carry a waste of space, and the team is only as good as the worst person.

A good groundie is a team player, he watches the climber with one eye while feeding the chipper, sawing logs, dragging brush, untangling lines, dealing with clients, making coffee, rolling ciggies, raking, cleaning, whatever. He's the climbers eyes on the ground, he collects the phone nos of the ladies admiring the climber. A groundie does everything........... treat him with respect, he's your best friend :cheers:. (ok not the last bit)

Groundies = :star:

Loads of good points being brought up in this discussion. I've worked for companies who do the training/signing thing and its not enough to just get the groundies to sign a piece of paper to cover your arse if the sh*t hits the fan. You have to have continual assessment of their abilities.

Making a groundperson understand the importance of their job is paramount. They have to realise that they are an integral part of the whole operation.

Maybe the problems start when they are made to feel less important than the climber. Good climbers have a habit of being very confident people who can at times come across as arrogant or overbearing.

The main issue I have with MB's list is the authoritarian tone, 'do this or else' mentality. The list starts with a very condescending tone and continues with it till the end. If I was decent hardworking person given that list I'd be thinking 'this guy must think I'm a chump'

It's not a good way to start a friendly working relationship with a new member of staff.

Yes indeed,the tone put forward would only work for very few..

Perhaps I'll work on a flowery, pretty-please version for those delicate, thin skinned workers. :proud:

How 'bout this:

Instead of " Show up for work on time, rested, and sober" to "Please arrive on time if you can, try to get some sleep beforehand and if it's not to much trouble please don't be drunk or hungover. Thank you oh so very much!"

I don't think so, mate.

Its been a while since I read MB's guide and I can't be bothered to read it again, but I remember I liked it.

Just use the information you think is usefull to you, no point picking holes in the wording.

And I also think Big A hits the nail on the head ""pay people what they are worth to you. If they make you money, they benefit. If they cost you money, they lose out. If they all gel together as a team, then all will benefit, anyone who doesnt want to play in that team, can leave and play on their own!""

If using groundies on minimum wage works for you then great.

Our groundies help do the weekly loler checks, pre start checks on all vehicles in the morning, as well as getting the chippers ready for work i,e filling with diesel and greasing bearings checking lights tyre pressures. They also may do the generic risk assements on some jobs, help set-up chapter 8, trained in first aid, the list goes on.

The company I work for the groundies are paid almost as much as the climbers, and I don't begrudge them for it, without good groundies my day would be a bitch.

All our groundies can also climb, and get regular chances to climb so they will be useful in rescue situations or on jobs where a second climber is beneficial.

totally agree ther are 8 of us all climb all ground all get paid the same

living the dream... i love to work in a team like that. ive just had alot of bad experiences with poor ground staff. it probably my fault for working for bad com panies. the quality of the groundstaff is probably my biggest problem at work.