Lichen...Problem? Please Advise

Al Baker

Lichens are made up of two, and some times three, different organisms from three different Kingdoms, which form a symbiotic relationship with each other for their mutual survival.

The dominant member is a ascomycetous fungus (Kingdom Fungi), which is capable of making it's own food. The fungus forms the visible portion of lichen inside of which, and protected by them, are cells of an algae (kingdom Protista) or some times cyanobacteria (Kingdom Monera), once known as blue-green algae. Some lichen can consist of all three organisms at once.

The algae provide nutrients, as they contain the pigment chlorophyll, which it uses during photosynthesis to produce carbohydrates the same way as green plants do. Thus the fungus obtains nutrients from the algae, the fungal tissue in turn provides shelter for the algae allowing it to grow in harsh conditions such as rock surfaces where it would otherwise be destroyed.

a 30 second internet search i found this.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found that little snippet really interesting ,good post ADB

The lichen not the issue here , treating the dampness is :001_smile:

So I need to get the whole thing shipped to Spain then?

Or maybe go outside and point at the clouds and shout like king Canute?

Got my advice and it's all sorted. Thanks chaps.

The Lichen was holding moisture for sure. Other than that was doing no harm.

I used a wood chisel and some Arbor grunt to remove the Lichen and slime.

I was amazed, that Larch turf Beam is as in as good a condition as the day I put it up there some 11 years back.

I cut the Heather and moss fringe right back away from it. Was hard to see from the ground but the fringe had been blocking out all that Highland sunshine and helping to keep it all wet. Treated it with Distilled white Vinegar.

Right, that's the end of this thread now. I noticed the general chat means general Arbor chat so I'll be sure not to abuse it in future.

Thanks again.

Al.

IMG_6285.jpg.3b66c65fa5264b70d8e12a264a9fe23a.jpg

IMG_6284.jpg.6f27655601e29a76b6703de23b75b384.jpg

1. Lichens break down rock, using carboxylic acid i believe so wood should prove neigh bother!

2. lichens when numerous cause cambium to become damp and even loose in the long term.

1. Lichens colonizing dead wood live on nutrients that are set free by mycelia of fungi decomposing the wood with enzymes, lichens don't have at their disposal. Besides, the thalli also filter whatever hits their surface transported by air or rain for nutrients.

2. Lichens living on bark feed on whatever nutrients are on the surface of the bark without penetrating living tissues, so how can the cambium become damp and even loose from lichens living on the tree ?

we see it alot, on south facing trees on coastal areas upto 1/2mile inland.

it burns a treat:biggrin: but in all honesty - couldnt you just leave nature defend your castle? and watch it blend into the countryside with subtle hues?

too much killing and curing in this world:confused1:

It's pretty well blended in already having been mostly made from stuff you can find round about. Blending in and composting are two different things I reckon.

I don't mind at all if it composts after I've gone.