Whats SRT like in the wet?

RobArb

Had a wet day today, a really wet day....:glare::001_tongue:

Up a big beech, slimy, slippy, my ropes where hard to grip, green runny goo was running off them down my arms, especially when descending

Put my anchor in from the ground and for every pull and thrust i only moved half the distance.... Yes i use DRT:001_smile:

So, simple question i understand the merits, pros and cons of SRT, done my reading, eventually going to get a SJ for DRT and RW for SRT etc etc when money allows but, for all the reading i've done can't seem to find anything about working with SRT in the wet, is it just as bad as DRT?

Can't help but feel i coudl've got the job done quicker if a wasn't faffing with my ropes every 10mins coz they where so damn wet!:lol:

Thoughts please

Sounds like I'm in the same position as you Robarb.

I'm into the SRT idea and going to get set up as soon as I have some extra dosh. You said you'll get an SJ for DRT and an RW for SRT. Why not just get an LJ for both. Saves money.

Anyway, as I have not climbed SRT yet I can't answer your 'in the wet' question but I imagine it's easier as you use Pantin and hand ascender as much as possible.

Had a wet day today, a really wet day....:glare::001_tongue:

Put my anchor in from the ground and for every pull and thrust i only moved half the distance.... Yes i use DRT:001_smile:

Its the pull and thrust bit that I hate as I cannot body thrust for love nor money as i lack the muscle in this area these days.

SRT is so simple and better in the wet as the rope stays static and does not run against branches increase the "goo" and gunk etc. Also the added benefit of SRT is you will not have to isolate a limb enabling you to throw higher easier.

Once your up you get the best anchor install your friction device and this will help to keep your ropes cleaner and make them last longer as rope over rope on limbs will wear your ropes faster.

Once you get into SRT and zip to the top of the tree in no time you'll be wondering why yu did not do it sooner, and eventually once you get past body thrust for ascent you will A: become a body thrust weakling, and B: find climbing a whole lot easier.

The only problems I've had working SRT on wet ropes is that some descent devises will slip and snatch. I'm talking in particular about adjustable friction devices. Petzls stop for example, is not technically an adjustable friction device but all those who use it a lot tend to use that red handle to create friction and adjust descent speed. If you use it in that manner on wet ropes it can be unpredictable and bights of rope can suddenly spit through it with alarming speed.

Fall arrest devices vary in their performance on wet ropes. You'll notice in equipment spec's, test results and instructions that there's very rarely any information regarding performance on wet ropes.

What al said, petzl rigs are a bit more predictable i found but still 'jerky'. they dont wring the rope out like a prussic though.

you'll still get wet, you'll still slide around. the only way to stay dry and clean is to stay at home

Jamie