Help with fencing question

Timbur

Morning all,

I'm new here so first [waves] HELLO. :001_smile:

I'm helping to sort out a mates fence as the recent winds pulled it apart somewhat.

I've done some fencing in the past but I've never seen this situation before. The wooden fence posts have been bolted onto concrete knee high posts which go into the ground. The wooden posts sit just above the ground all along the line of the fence, but not in it. Now, I know if a post breaks mid fence and you don't want to dismantle the fence you can sure (sp?) it up with a concrete post alongside the rotted wooden post but surely having them bolted to a concrete post above ground just makes for a weak fence???

The panels are the cheap B&Q efforts.

Any advice appreciated as I'm sorting it next week.

He lives by the sea and the soil is a mix of gravel and clay so hard on digging but great for support when tampered back in.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

Sounds like the posts have been put in on spurs from the outset- not that uncommon. I assume you have two bolts going through the wooden post and out via the concrete post? Or have they been put in with coach screws?

Anyhow, whats the problem? Or is it that you think the spurs and wooden posts not in the ground is weaker than normal?

Wooden posts always rot at ground level, but as every post is spurred you dont have this problem. As long as the spurs are well in the ground i.e 2ft for a 6ft fence the spurs are a lot stronger and longer lasting than any wooden post. I wish my jobs were as easy as this.Good luck.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Sorry for the dalay in coming back but I've been fruit tree pruning all day :o)

Yes, I thought that the fence would be weaker as the posts are only held in by two bolts to the concrete spurs albeit not in the ground therefore rot shouldn't be an issue.

The panels are standard 6ft'ers so I'll go and crack on.

Cheers again.

Tim

good way of making a secure and strong fence,albeit not the most attractive way of doing it, but if done correctly the concrete spurs will be there for a lifetime, only problems i have come across is getting the old bolts out of the spur, good luck

The concrete spurs are called godfathers. Some people attached them with coach screws instead of bolts which is not the best method, providing you use bolts with washers under the nuts they will be fine. If you dont use washers the nut binds into the concrete as you tighten it and will eventually work loose.

Just had a detailed look at the fence and for some reason all but 2 of the 9 panels are 6fters. The non 6fters aren't at the ends. Random! Looks like I'll have to play with some 6fters to make them fit but besides that it looks alright.

Thanks for te advice

Tim

the panels where probably cut back to straddle underground services or an obstruction like concrete off an old post if there not on an end or a corner . But panels are easy to cut down to size just get some spare batterns save trying to take the ones off the end of the panel