Spiking on a lean

Deni

We were doing a big job a while back on a big river banking, most of the trees had a bit of a lean towards the river, this has been a major problem of mine for a while now. Basically when a tree starts to get fairly thin and theres a bit of a lean i find it really hard to stay round one side of the tree and terribly difficult to make cuts etc, use guys any advice on this.

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorten your line and crouch a bit more, I find this a pain in the ar&e as well, I'm forever getting taken by gravity, it's bloody irritating!

You can choke your lanyard round the stem and clip it to a side D which will hold a bit but it's not most comfy....'down-hill' side is most effective on thin stems....

Shorten your line and crouch a bit more, I find this a pain in the ar&e as well, I'm forever getting taken by gravity, it's bloody irritating!

You can choke your lanyard round the stem and clip it to a side D which will hold a bit but it's not most comfy....'down-hill' side is most effective on thin stems....

I disagree, far better to be on top, imo.

You need to stand up straight and lean back a little, which means you let your flip line out a fair bit, this takes a bit of getting used to, but if you don't and try and lean towards the stem you will really struggle.

I find this puts even more leverage on the line and makes it even harder to stop myself swinging round.... I have to get as close in to the tree as I can without gaffing out, [bow-legging helps me a bit] and lean right into the harness....

I was on some thin ash stems along a roadside the other week and they were all leaning out over the road away from the bank hunting for light, I needed to cut across the lean so that they'd fall parallel with the road & power lines [ish! they were rigged down], I really struggled to stay in the right place, I could only get comfortortably [relatively!] positioned by pulling in a lanyard from the up hill side and pulling against that as well on my down hill D ring. Was a bit cluttered but did work... You can clip both ends of the flip onto the ventral rather than D's in this configuration as well, avoids the 'circle of death'