Dog advice

Stephen Blair

Cheers Tony, tbh I am looking for all you guys, to say' the dogs had a good life,its time to do the deed ' it's what I would advise others, but when it's on my own head it's different.

I will monitor him this week, and call the vet for advice and make a decision.

Mate, this ones too close to home for me, can barely see the keys on the board now for the welling up.

the most painfull of all things ive ever experienced in my life.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a simple situation amd there may be many conflicting factors. At the simple end of the scale a patient that has been stable on an anticonvulsent medication may be developing liver or kidney probelms that affect the way that drug is metabolised..and higher serum levels could easily be responsible for sedation or confusion. Or it may be more complicated in the sense of developing other unrelated conditions that are responsible for the changes you are seeing.

One of the dangers of being the vet that sees the same patient for many years is that one assumes/accepts the problems as they arise whereas a fresh pair of eyes might take a more dispassionate look.

Certainly this dog needs a complete review and if funds allow then referral to a neurologist for a second opinion.

My pointer has been to the vet 3 times in his life, each vet diferent.

since going out earlier on for a sit down bonding session with the 3 of them, they haven't made a cheap!!

last night he just wouldn't settle.

fingers crossed it anxiety and I can get him settled:)

The dogs have picked up on the senior dogs anxiety at your not being there, their routine has been thrown into chaos, don't make a hasty decision give the old lad a week of tlc to re assure him you havnt left the fold he will re settle given chance. Old dogs do suffer with dementia but with routine cope well.

When the time comes to let them go only you knows your dog well enough to make that decision, and make it on the basis of it being the last kind thing you can do for them, don't keep them alive for you. Those of us who have had the companionship of a dog into their old age should be proud and consider our selves lucky to have had their company for so long and done well for them .

I had to make the decision today after a consultation with the vets, Rudi went into a fit and collapsed while the vets were there, so he made the decision for me.

He was put to sleep, and is now chasing bunnies in a meadow in the sky.

I thought I could take him in the van and bury him myself but I couldn't, so he is going to be privately cremated and we will spread his ashes at his favourite spot up the hills.

RIP Rudi, sounds like the right decision though. Mine went to the vets today, senile dementia and possible brain tumour. At the moment it's barely affecting him, so the decision is to let it roll, but I will not let him suffer, make his last few days,months,years as pleasant as possible unless he deteriorates then I'm afraid that he'll have to go to sleep too. He's comfy enough in himself right now, but has suddenly aged while I was away. I'm almost envious of pets, humans have to suffer endless years of pain while we try to "save" them from painful illness. That's morally wrong IMO.