Going Self Employed

beefbeef

how do you explain to these companies that your day rate needs to go up without getting shown the door

well.... you need to have a wide enough client base and not rely on the one firm...

:001_huh:£80 a day sounds like an employed wage not a freelance day rate. you need to be able to proove that you can do that much more work for the money, get the days job done in a day and perhaps the next days too :thumbup1:

i'm always nervous when putting up my rates, and to be fair when i did it last year i didn't hear from one guy for a few months, but since then i have shown him what i can do in a day and he's using me more than ever!:thumbup:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its down to how much experieance you have or dont have that dictates your rate ,man that needs mentoring is worth less than a man that doesnt require mentoring ,:001_tongue:

p/s 2.8tdi

i'm on good money when subbing as a climber to a few contacts round here :thumbup1:

2.8 is whats in mine aswell, you ever do the timing belt?

well.... you need to have a wide enough client base and not rely on the one firm...

:001_huh:£80 a day sounds like an employed wage not a freelance day rate. you need to be able to proove that you can do that much more work for the money, get the days job done in a day and perhaps the next days too :thumbup1:

i'm always nervous when putting up my rates, and to be fair when i did it last year i didn't hear from one guy for a few months, but since then i have shown him what i can do in a day and he's using me more than ever!:thumbup:

i know i can do a hell of a lot in a day esp on a take down

btw 80 a day is a ground rate :)

Question from me then on this subject if you don't mind..... how do you explain to these companies that your day rate needs to go up without getting shown the door due to the vast amount of people up here in the north willing to climb for 80 a day?

Simple answer to that. If your competitors are charging £80 a day, and for arguements sake you are charging £120, then you better make sure your climbing is 51% better, both in quality and production. No explaining should be necessary, your climbing should do that for you.

You need to be very good to be getting around the £150 mark, ie you can tackle any tree job and do it quickly and efficiently.

If your new to the game and/or arent the best climber then look at the £70 end of the scale.

To me experience is irrelevant its skill that matters. I know quite a few people who have been in the game for 10+ years that you wouldnt want up the tree even if they we paying you for the privilege.:laugh1:

Also when subbing on other peoples jobs and using your own saws do you take your own fuel or trust theirs? i can't see the company you sub to buying you a new saw when it seizes due to improperly mixed fuel or at wrong ratio...

For one company i prefer to use my own when subbing to them....

Simple answer to that. If your competitors are charging £80 a day, and for arguements sake you are charging £120, then you better make sure your climbing is 51% better, both in quality and production. No explaining should be necessary, your climbing should do that for you.

Thats fair comment, yes..... but all companies round here seem to be bothered about is figures, you ring them up offering subbing services, tell them your quals and experiance then say your rate... you never get calls back due to them saying i usually pay 80 a day for climbers.....

maybe the point being its a company i don't need to work for...

I really dont know how people can subby at 80 a day,the last time i was on the books (8yrs ago) i was on £85! I suppose the colleges churning out ticketed novices constantly will drive price down to some extent but if your good no way should you get less than £120.

Well, by the time I move I will have had 6 months more experience. I know what I'm doing, but sometimes a little bit slow. I think I'll have to be reasonable, and not get greedy. I know there is good money to be had, but if I go in with a competitive rate then hopefully the work will keep coming in! I suppose if tree work does go tits up, I can always go back to fencing, although I'd really rather not do that. Thanks for the advice guys, really big help. Think the plan will be to just go for £120 a day, at least my climbing will reflect that.