Falling tree kills man

Taupotreeman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poor guy and you have to feel for his family but why do amateurs attempt to fell big trees? I was chopping up a big fallen ash today and was looking at it's friends who were still standing and it occured to me that I would'nt even know where to start if I wanted one of them down. The one I was ringing up had taken severl limbs off an oak as it fell and there was some junk hung up in the oak (from the ash). One branch (about 2" thick) fell while I was working and caught the brim of my helmet. Scared the carp out of me and it occured to me that I hadn't given a thought to what was still hung up in the tree. Methinks it's time I got some training in as it could have been bigger.

I'm not a pro but I do try to take care and not do anything I am uncomfortable with. A mate who is a surgeon always says to me 'just take it slow, just look, think about what you have changed and take it slow' and always try to abide by this.

But I would never try to fell such a tree. No idea where to start.

What was it? 15m Mac I think without checking the story again. That's an awful lot of weight and spread for an expert never mind someone that doesn't know what they are doing. I don't want to come across in this thread as unsympathetic but sometimes you have to ask. I looked at a job once that involved clearing burning Poplars out of 11KV conductors, no charge to the owner as it was paid for by the utility. The land owner took it upon himself to do it from the bucket of his tractor. I mean, who in their right mind??

What was it? 15m Mac I think without checking the story again. That's an awful lot of weight and spread for an expert never mind someone that doesn't know what they are doing. I don't want to come across in this thread as unsympathetic but sometimes you have to ask. I looked at a job once that involved clearing burning Poplars out of 11KV conductors, no charge to the owner as it was paid for by the utility. The land owner took it upon himself to do it from the bucket of his tractor. I mean, who in their right mind??

25M, thats a big tree!!

And the other was a 40M Pine!!!!:001_huh: