big oak reduction ,

defenderjack

did this job friday and took a couple of hours this morning to finish , the oak had a tpo on it and we were given 25 %- 30 max , bit of a thin and a crown raise over the road , to be honest although im pleased with it , it was a pain of a job as the left of the crown had 3 major limbs cut right back many years ago and the other side of the crown not touched at all so would have been completely unbalanced so had to try and match it in with the back side of the crown overhanging 3 gardens with sheds greenhouses an assortment of pots and plants and knackered trellised fences ! all in all hard work but worth it as got 4 possible jobs from it :thumbup1:

044.jpg.1fe9efdc0f94ad5b232cb6a2ab9de932.jpg

043.jpg.6a4967f59219725def691e7c29b7650f.jpg

041.jpg.6e24dcf4eb2c192e654be7b49dffb5f4.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice i reduce one similar and that had been cut back hard in areas it ends up like a restoration job

yeh too true , i new it wasnt gona look great from every angle as you would have to reduce one side by 50 % and the other by 20 % , you nver really know the past history but it does make you wonder why it was done like that , even if the 3 big ,limbs had been wind blown or whatever and the job was to tidy it up , why on earth they didnt think it would be a good idea to balance the whole crown as a high pollard and make it half sensible ,still ours is not to reason why !!!

yeh too true , i new it wasnt gona look great from every angle as you would have to reduce one side by 50 % and the other by 20 % , you nver really know the past history but it does make you wonder why it was done like that , even if the 3 big ,limbs had been wind blown or whatever and the job was to tidy it up , why on earth they didnt think it would be a good idea to balance the whole crown as a high pollard and make it half sensible ,still ours is not to reason why !!!

Also trying to explain that it will take many more visits to get the best results.Priced a beech today and the guy wanted it pollarded that's where it all begins i talked him into a reduction.

Also trying to explain that it will take many more visits to get the best results.Priced a beech today and the guy wanted it pollarded that's where it all begins i talked him into a reduction.

good on you , its quite satisfying educating people and actually seeing them come round to the idea the less is sometimes more !:thumbup1:

Nice work:thumbup:

Can I just say something though, without being critical:001_rolleyes:

Trees don't grow symmetrically, our at least most don't, especially those in close proximity to each other and/or buildings etc. doing a reduction shouldn't be 50% one side 20% the other to get it looking "nice", you'd be better doing 25% all over, for example.. A long a there was no sticky out bits that were noticeable it would still be a good job as its had an even reduction regardless of the shape. Does that make sense?

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

Trees don't grow symmetrically, our at least most don't, especially those in close proximity to each other and/or buildings etc. doing a reduction shouldn't be 50% one side 20% the other to get it looking "nice", you'd be better doing 25% all over, for example.. A long a there was no sticky out bits that were noticeable it would still be a good job as its had an even reduction regardless of the shape. Does that make sense?

Not really...symmetry is never perfect but it is usually desirable. Trees that have been topped/lopped especially are out of balance so improving symmetry is a reasonable goal.

Looks like a lot came off but don't know enough about the tree or the owners objective to say it was too much.

Nice work:thumbup:

Can I just say something though, without being critical:001_rolleyes:

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

basically apart from taking a few heavier bits out we tried to do 25 /30 most of the way , i agree that trees dont always have to be a lollipop especially an oak because they look good all narly , the owner didnt really care to much about the tree as all he was worried about was his satellite dish :sneaky2:

On a different note there were some pretty long limbs over hanging the rear gardens that had to be roped down which was a right pain as there was branches below for everything to get stuck on so i ended up reducing some of it from the ground up if you know what i mean ? just wondered what you guys do if you have to rope stuff while doing a reduction , it doesnt half wind me up when the groundy keeps shouting "can you just throw it over here" lol

Not really...symmetry is never perfect but it is usually desirable. Trees that have been topped/lopped especially are out of balance so improving symmetry is a reasonable goal.

Looks like a lot came off but don't know enough about the tree or the owners objective to say it was too much.

to be honest i don,t think i could of done any less , id like think im pretty agile but id have been pushing it to go further ,