Cheers to our bosses!

josharb87

It's the sense of humour thing. I sleep in a hammock. To avoid wrong sides I levitate virtically.

fair play sailor :001_tongue:

But i think it damaging to thank people for the symptoms of selfish acts even when they seem altruistic.

so i shouldnt be thankfull?!

the way i look at it is if i were a boss, and i kept buying new kit, and diddnt get a thankyou, id be getting pissed of and think they obviously dont appreciate it, so i wont bother gettin any more!

jason, just a little backround to my post, i do agree that you need good kit to do the job, to make their profit but my boss has gone a step further-i was asked what large saw id like, not just given the standard husky theyre used to, i asked to be put through on 7.5tonne, they said yes, even though everyone else can drive 7.5tonners. . .so i diddnt need it, i then asked to be upgraded to the C2 catogry instead, they said no probs

im the newest member of the team(well newest lead climber anyhow) and they intrust me with the new chipper, rather than a hand me down

everyone deserves a thankyou if theyve done right, no matter what rung of the ladder they are at

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Er, did you read my last post about how i get on with my boss etc. I said what I mean and mean what I say. dont add or take away from that. Scuse me for simplicity, but I'm quite simple myself. The above quote of yours is unfair, as it does not represent my point of view. at all. I'm a two way street man too.:001_smile:

Fair do's

But you did say profit was his only justification for buying kit, I don't think that is true, if you can make the life of your staff easer and thus them happier thats a good thing in my book, but many like yourself would rather imply an ulterior motive.

So as an employer you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Fair do's

But you did say profit was his only justification for buying kit, I don't think that is true, if you can make the life of your staff easer and thus them happier thats a good thing in my book, but many like yourself would rather imply an ulterior motive.

So as an employer you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It's subtle for sure. If I was an employer, the sole reason I would buy a new piece of kit would be profit. that would be my job. As an irritant employee, I would expect nothing different either. I should not feel it necessary to thank my boss for increasing the efficiency of the company, that's his job. to work as hard as I can is my job. No thanks required. I get a wage for my efforts and he gets profits. This is normal for a viable business. So yes the only reason to buy new kit that gets my respect is to increase profit. It's true that the perceived loss leaders of staff welfare can have a dramatic effect on profit. This is usually only embraced by progressive employers. I don't want to work for a flaky boss, I want efficient and effective management. I should not have to thank them for simply doing their job properly. I thank them for letting me take the van home at the weekend or buying around in the pub. This is how it should be.

Everyone knows that we'd all break our balls for a good boss. we've all done it. A bad boss deserves nothing but derision. Am I wrong thinking this is an acceptable point of view? The subtlety is very important.

It's subtle for sure. If I was an employer, the sole reason I would buy a new piece of kit would be profit. that would be my job. As an irritant employee, I would expect nothing different either. I should not feel it necessary to thank my boss for increasing the efficiency of the company, that's his job. to work as hard as I can is my job. No thanks required. I get a wage for my efforts and he gets profits. This is normal for a viable business. So yes the only reason to buy new kit that gets my respect is to increase profit. It's true that the perceived loss leaders of staff welfare can have a dramatic effect on profit. This is usually only embraced by progressive employers. I don't want to work for a flaky boss, I want efficient and effective management. I should not have to thank them for simply doing their job properly. I thank them for letting me take the van home at the weekend or buying around in the pub. This is how it should be.

Everyone knows that we'd all break our balls for a good boss. we've all done it. A bad boss deserves nothing but derision. Am I wrong thinking this is an acceptable point of view? The subtlety is very important.

Not the way I chose to look at life.

But maybe thats why I didn't find I wanted to continue to grow my business.

I think what's important is that we disagree less than was initially evident. I'm not the lazy unionised radical and your not the pit boss sending kids to their deaths.

I guess, I expect very high standards from everyone including myself. consequently the point at which I thank people is higher than maybe it could be. Does that make sense?

I think what's important is that we disagree less than was initially evident. I'm not the lazy unionised radical and your not the pit boss sending kids to their deaths.

I guess, I expect very high standards from everyone including myself. consequently the point at which I thank people is higher than maybe it could be. Does that make sense?

I know what your saying!

I think its difficult, on here, to get to know people well, but as you say we understand one another a little better now :001_smile:

Edited by skyhuck

I'm a boss. If my employees work hard or show extraordinary initiative or effort I thank them and let them know I haven't overlooked their hardwork or development. Not in a 'kiss-butt, goodnight John-boy' sort of way, but subtle and to the point.

Credit where its due.

That said, I don't feel comfortable with thankyous in return. They earn their corn and I earn mine.