Sun Dried African Firewood

windfall

Surely a 20 kg sack of wood, whatever the species at a similar MC has a similar calorific value? (so I would seriously doubt that the moisture in our rubbish firewood would triple/quadruple its weight)

Rest of it sounds like 'green-wash'.

I think this is where I am meant to rattle on about the global price of oil being too cheap AGAIN...............

Edited by corylus

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would boycott any attempt to sell African desert firewood in the UK. It is wrong in so many ways. The main cooking fuel in the area is wood which is in serious decline causing even greater desertification. Land containing the trees has often been acquired by corrupt governments displacing the indigenous population. Just google and you will find loads on how dependent the locals are on firewood for there cooking fuel and what lengths they have to go to to get sufficient to cook there daily meal.

http://www.worldbank.org/afr/wps/wp35.pdf

It's probably a fantastic fuel, but for all the reasons mentioned above, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I reckon it would be much better used by the poor people who are probably cutting it. As for the price - I reckon it's only going to appeal to the type of people who put a lot of effort into trying to impress their friends at dinner parties - "oh yes daaahling - we have our logs shipped over from Africa - we do like to support those less fortunate people, and we feel this is doing our bit" Cobblers!

No thanks mate - I'll stick with a UK product!

Andy

On the Isle of Man we have 65miles of water between us and the mainland uk and the products that we are able to 'import' are limited. Which is why I am constantly trying to find new and interesting products for the growing market over here

Local forestry is all softwood, we do have hardwood trees of course but not in a quantity that can supply/sustain the demand. A huge number of my clients do not want softwood, one of them went so far to say "I would rather burn coal that put that from the government saw mill on my fire".

Yes there are also a large number of "oh yes daaahling" clients here too.

I have always been anti kiln dried wood, I still struggle to see the point, however, it sells over here like you would not believe.

Edited by skyhuck
language.