Volunteer, Gopher, Dogsbody - Teach me o' wise one - Bristol Area

Big Dan

I've just joined the forum and am looking to book myself on the CS30,CS31, CS38, CS39 and First Aid at Work courses ASAP to retrain in all things Arboriculture so am looking to get as much experience as possible before going onto an Msc in Arboriculture.

I will be getting myself some kit shortly and work full-time (retail shop manager) but would be grateful of any odd days on the ground doing anything Arb related pricing up jobs, surveys, general labouring etc etc or even coming along if your going social climbing for the experience.

I know theres not a lot you can do with me until I've got some tickets but if your likely to have anything in the future or need help with something arb work related please send me a private message and I will be happy to give you my mobile number for future reference.

Dan

i think going straight onto the MSc in arb will be a big challenge if you have no previous knowledge, they usually have an assumed knowledge base, so it will be properly in at the deep end if you do that!

if you can get your cs30/31 and cs38 ASAP you are valuable to companies as you are an aerial rescuer, but climbing speed and confidence comes into it if they want you to climb for them, your courses would see you as competent, but you learn once youve passed the assesments!

if you are looking at an academic route, look at the FdSc in Arb, it starts at a good level, i had no previous arb knowledge and did that, was tough going but it all started to fall into place eventually. i went from the fdsc onto a bsc, which i will be finishing in may (3 years done) and it has been a great experience, and i think the masters is a big jump from BSc level.

other than that, good luck with your adventure :biggrin:

Thanks for that Rob, I've obviously got my Bsc and Msc round the wrong way and like you say should learn to walk before I try running :001_rolleyes:

I'm no money bags so will aim for the 3 CS's to get me some groundwork first and like you say get proficient on the saw and at climbing before I start swinging a chainsaws round in the canopies.

Thanks for the good advice and encouragement which is much appreciated :thumbup1:

I was in a similar situation to yourself I completed a business studies degree and worked in finance for 3 years and decided it wasnt for me! I completed my CS 30,31,38 and 39 at Blake training (highly reccomended).

I worked a little for free and some more for little but have now got to a point where I can look for full time employment. Good luck and any questions I may be able to help with that will help you learn from my experince so far just ask!

and any questions I may be able to help with that will help you learn from my experience so far just ask!

I may well take you up on the offer of help as until I've got through my units I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get, suppose the main thing is getting some site experience but I assume I would need my first unit before anyone will let me near any ground work???

if ur baised in western have u thought about cannington college near bridgwater??

TBH I've already been in contact with them with regards to doing a course but will probably do my CS's and try to get some experience/knowledge on the job before I start the academic side of things so it makes a bit more sense :confused1:

Just waiting for my spare car to sell on fleabay to pay for the CS's :biggrin: