Croft Castle

flames

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you let me know when its being organised for i could get permission from the estate manager for you all to have a walk round all the woodland a gatley as well. and dont forget the large beech and hornbeams on top of croft ambrey fort.

Are they still felling over on Gatley is it stacked at roadside?

what do you require from your control trees?

Must be oak or sweet chestnut, showing active decay or reactions to, ganoderma, I. Dryadeus, they are ones I think of now but any others which oaks and sweet chestnuts can adapt to and live with I.e. basal swelling. Something that can be compared to the fistulina adaptations/reactions but when checked off on a tick list do show an obvious difference

Must be oak or sweet chestnut, showing active decay or reactions to, ganoderma, I. Dryadeus, they are ones I think of now but any others which oaks and sweet chestnuts can adapt to and live with I.e. basal swelling. Something that can be compared to the fistulina adaptations/reactions but when checked off on a tick list do show an obvious difference

why didnt you ask dear boy! theres only a few people documenting what you want!

Got all the trees you could wish for at various locations, also look to grifola frondosa, and also smal reiterative roots on large stem diameters as indication of colybia fusipes activity, though youll often find this in association with fistulina.

as far as your study is concerened youll need only control scenarios where fistulina would be very rarely found in close association, and dryadeus is the one for that. You will need to take a trip iether to Gollums site or to hatield forest for easy evaluation/multiple choice trees. This because fistulina tends to be dominant where inonotus is more scarce and vice versa.:001_cool:

Sounds like a plan to me:thumbup:

I'm in!

if you let me know when its being organised for i could get permission from the estate manager for you all to have a walk round all the woodland a gatley as well. and dont forget the large beech and hornbeams on top of croft ambrey fort.

Cool :thumbup1:

If this comes together it will be a really interesting day.

why didnt you ask dear boy! theres only a few people documenting what you want!

Got all the trees you could wish for at various locations, also look to grifola frondosa, and also smal reiterative roots on large stem diameters as indication of colybia fusipes activity, though youll often find this in association with fistulina.

as far as your study is concerened youll need only control scenarios where fistulina would be very rarely found in close association, and dryadeus is the one for that. You will need to take a trip iether to Gollums site or to hatield forest for easy evaluation/multiple choice trees. This because fistulina tends to be dominant where inonotus is more scarce and vice versa.:001_cool:

Cheers. I'll be aiming to make a couple of trips out in the next month or two, hoping the next week or two actually! Want to get to croft, Dunham Massey and a day down south. Purely for data collection. I think I may need 100-150 pieces of data altogether. One half is a mixture of oak and sweet chestnut, the other the control. If it works out that oak is the easiest subject due to the amount of control specimens, I can alter the project to do just oaks.

it WILL happen, I dont bail on days like this, rainford wont either:thumbup1:

That is correct! I love me some vets!

• 3 months later...
Hi folks, is anyone still interested in an arbtalk visit to Croft Castle?

Can I suggest May 19th or 20th?

I could go for this if it becomes a rec climb.... was there last weekend with the kids for a walk... I am formulating a plan.... :sneaky2::thumbup1: