Tree motion

andrew t

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be all wrong...... I'm running around in trees with DMM Renegade harness with a Silky Zubat and secateurs! Tried the Petzl Sequoia SRT and feels really comfy. Love all the heavy duty attachments points. But I'm leaving the stuff that warrants that to my mate.

I can see where your coming from but hse would not like it if they found us climbing in rock harneses but if you are self employed and working for your self then its a good money saver .:001_smile:

I can see where your coming from but hse would not like it if they found us climbing in rock harneses but if you are self employed and working for your self then its a good money saver .:001_smile:

Yeah, I know. But I can't see a genuine reason why they should have a fit. DMM say it's the "ultimate all rounder, just the sort of clever design that fits with the full range of climbing disciplines: from trad and sport, through to whatever winter or alpine climbing shenanigans you might be getting up to.", and that kind of implies trees as well in my head. I've dangled hundreds and hundreds of feet in the air in one of these and trust them with my life. Sure beats what I was doing which was just free-climbing trees (only 30ft but that's enough to hurt) and hanging on with one hand with Silky in the other.

Main thing I guess is comfort for when hanging for long periods and having heavy duty attachment points for tools. I will get something specifically for trees, but mainly to save my rock one from getting covered in muck :001_smile:

I disagree.

I had treemotion and yes its very good...but I now have a petzl sequioa and prefer it to the treemotion....its all down to the individual user.

yes agreed, i tried alot of harness's when i could at collage, i then went out and bought the austria duo 1 with the clip on seat, love it,, however i cant wait to give the 'skylotec' a go when it arivves :thumbup:

Yeah, I know. But I can't see a genuine reason why they should have a fit. DMM say it's the "ultimate all rounder, just the sort of clever design that fits with the full range of climbing disciplines: from trad and sport, through to whatever winter or alpine climbing shenanigans you might be getting up to.", and that kind of implies trees as well in my head. I've dangled hundreds and hundreds of feet in the air in one of these and trust them with my life. Sure beats what I was doing which was just free-climbing trees (only 30ft but that's enough to hurt) and hanging on with one hand with Silky in the other.

Main thing I guess is comfort for when hanging for long periods and having heavy duty attachment points for tools. I will get something specifically for trees, but mainly to save my rock one from getting covered in muck :001_smile:

No offense Pedroski, but you cannot get out there without a harness, I know branches are stronger than you think but a good tree specific harness is essential to get safe and appropiate positioning. If you free climbed to prune then you will not be cutting in the right place.

You should try an Elderid Tree Magic I still got mine its easy to forget how great this harness is. Very light and un-obtrusive.

Pedroski - how do you use a lanyard with your harness?

I didn't think the Renegade had side D-rings.

Is all the positioning from the one central attachment point?

Yep, central attachment point only. Not ideal, but I don't do much tree work myself.... mate and subbies so that. Me, mainly recreational climbing, landscaping and some pruning work.

No offense Pedroski, but you cannot get out there without a harness, I know branches are stronger than you think but a good tree specific harness is essential to get safe and appropiate positioning. If you free climbed to prune then you will not be cutting in the right place.

You should try an Elderid Tree Magic I still got mine its easy to forget how great this harness is. Very light and un-obtrusive.

No offence taken. Agree, it wasn't safe. It was only on a few jobs that I'd do it, and the work got done well with combination of free climbing, ladders and long pole loppers. But there were many moments when I'd get the shakes. Just lucky I never hit the deck. I'm more safety conscious now and don't bow to pressure from others who balance one footed on top of ladders!

Tree Magic looks great. One I'll definitely check out now.

Had a bit of a shock today i was dead wooding a large oak today and as i swang out to the next limb my chainsaw got stuck in a limb behind me i had the saw linked on the red rope part that is next to the red ring on the back of my harness it broke away and my saw fell to the ground splitting the tank open .:blushing: