Mini tornado!

geoff

By all acounts from the vicar and other people in the path of the trail of destruction,there was a tornado,the vicar told me he saw it curve round over nearby fields,then was enveloped in a 'white out' of hail,could not see beyond the front of his car,(he had just parked in the church yard),and all he could hear was a load continuos groaning sound,which lasted for a minute or two,(very frightening)!

I talked to a local farmer who was also hit by it & the destruction to his yard is substancial.

This wind caused a strip of damage less than 100 yards wide with the larger debris left in a line with smaller bits on each side,a barn roof cleared a load of overhead lines & landed some 200 yards further on.

amongst other damage,a garden shed was picked up and dropped intact some yards away,facing the oposite direction.

I have priced up the graveyard clearance,& got a few pics,but its not easy to show the extent of what happened on camera.

Click on the link if you want to see some of the images.:001_smile:

2012 jan-tree - a set on Flickr

Sounds like and looks like a Tornado to me, and I have lived through several and seen the results of Hundreds. Looks like a fair amount fire wood to collect!. Stay Safe, if your ever outside when you think one is approaching don't look for it take cover in a ditch or culvert.

Yes it does and can sound like a Freight Train coming down the tracks!

easy-lift guy

The pics dont do it justice,it realy is a lot of damage,with everything intact each side,the vicar could not believe his eyes when the air cleared enough to see what had occured,the description of the groaning noise was a bit hair raising!:w00t:

• 1 month later...

Got this job done now,it was a mess,ie;

6640505495_cd6d965abb_z.jpg

dun7 by geoff321, on Flickr

This was the worst one still standing,a big old ceder,to asked for the central spar to come out as it was fubared,nice climb amongst some shattered bits but I got it down ok,not much of it left but the church want to keep this one as a temporary monument to the storm.

6927069005_daa6ca4529_z.jpg

P2231380 by geoff321, on Flickr

6780951540_8872e5f3d7_z.jpg

P2231379 by geoff321, on Flickr

6927068129_53275e539f_z.jpg

P2231381 by geoff321, on Flickr

Edited by geoff

Sorry,another pic of the before clear up on the most damaged standing tree.

6640510225_eacc5e506b_z.jpg

dun5 by geoff321, on Flickr

In amongst that lot there were six or severn down,turned at the root,a good lesson for the groundy in tension & compression wood,the log faries helped a lot on the clear up!:biggrin:

Edited by geoff

Yep,not a 'reduction to be proud of'...:laugh1:, I can understand them wanting to keep it,but not for long methinks.

The stone masons are having a field day over there,it was all so smashed up,& they are not covered on the church insurance,so you can imagine the trouble that can create for me going in there to clean up the trees,I was concerned about the potential for getting chased for destroying the stones even though the ones broken were cause by the initial wind damage.

All in all the feedback from those who go over there to tend the individual graves,& maintain the grounds as comunity volunteers was very good,but was a tread light recovery job for me:001_smile: