Duel tractor wheels

skyhuck

I'm looking at getting some duel wheels for my unimog.

I want them for improved traction and lower ground pressure.

I'm thinking just the rear axel.

I have spoken to Alex Price and he know of people who have fitted duels to mogs.

I'm aware that there will obviously be increased side loading on the hubs and king pins (my mog has 4 wheel steering, so two front axels) so I know I will need to take care to keep on fairly even land.

Has any one any experience of using duel wheels??

How many lugs do people think I will need for attaching them??, I'm on 24" wheels

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont comment as to duals on mogs as I have no exp of this, but it may be worth contacting one of the firms who import schaad dual wheel systems which are a very quick removal system that I was impressed with. They have systems that fit onto standard rims with no modification required. I think Starco in Rugeley are an importer as it was them who gave me the demo dvd.

Personally I wouldn't bother have seen the damage that can be done to tractors! If wanting to tread lighter I would get a complete set of wider tyres. If adamant want duals then would say 4 clamps a dual.

Personally I wouldn't bother have seen the damage that can be done to tractors! If wanting to tread lighter I would get a complete set of wider tyres. If adamant want duals then would say 4 clamps a dual.

I would only be using them once on site and for short distances across a field to get to the work and back, then remove.

Do you think even such limited use will cause problems??

I was going for 3 lugs, will this be too few??

I wont comment as to duals on mogs as I have no exp of this, but it may be worth contacting one of the firms who import schaad dual wheel systems which are a very quick removal system that I was impressed with. They have systems that fit onto standard rims with no modification required. I think Starco in Rugeley are an importer as it was them who gave me the demo dvd.

The ones I'm looking at getting have lugs that will screw on to the wheel studs and then hooks go into these and a leaver operate an over centre cam to lock the hooks, so should be quick once set up.

The stresses involved with duals can be a great deal! If doing a lot of pulling then I would say 4 would be minimum, then the pressure in the tyres need to be equal this won't be a problem with a mog but still takes time to do. If don't keep the wheels on level ground then chances of breaking the dish are high, for example have a dual on a stump and the inside tyre on nowt, thats an example it could be kerbs, grip holes etc.

The ones I'm looking at getting have lugs that will screw on to the wheel studs and then hooks go into these and a leaver operate an over centre cam to lock the hooks, so should be quick once set up.

That sounds like 'Stocks type'... the other type commonly used in the UK were 'Bettinson type'.... [which have the weld on lugs and the claws which tighten via the lever across the wheel]

The Stocks type is certainly the more popular these days, not sure you can even get the old Bettinson type any more, welding into wheel rims isn't ideal, particularly with tubless tyres and high road speeds...

Stocks AG -Dual Wheels

Think you're looking at a D2412 or D2415

Edited by WorcsWuss