Stihl wont start!

pault

Take the plug out, turn the machine upside down and pull the saw over a few times - chances are puddled fuel will run out, if not let us know.

Dry the plug, a gas hob works as does a plumbers torch.

Test the spark by pluging the plug in to the cap and earthing the base and pull the saw over - a spark should be present.

Replace the plug, if the saw kicked out lots of fuel when upside down, put the saw on fast idle but NOT choke. If there was no fuel present then put the saw on full choke.

Take the decomp OFF and give it a few brisk pulls.

A saw needs compression, fuel and spark, if the saw is missing one of these, you need to work on the missing element.

I agree, but something happened to me today to prompt me to add a safety note.

When pulling the saw over to eject excess fuel make sure the ignition switch is OFF.

Whilst doing the same operation to a flooded lawnmower today the first pull expelled a large amount of fuel. The second pull expelled slightly less, but it IGNITED. Even though the plug was not in the cap, a spark must have jumped to earth.

The, flaming, expelled fuel shot, very prettily, about 2metres across the workshop and landed on the fuel store,( luckily fire resistant and shut)

No major problem this time, but I will take more care in future.

I agree, but something happened to me today to prompt me to add a safety note.

When pulling the saw over to eject excess fuel make sure the ignition switch is OFF.

Whilst doing the same operation to a flooded lawnmower today the first pull expelled a large amount of fuel. The second pull expelled slightly less, but it IGNITED. Even though the plug was not in the cap, a spark must have jumped to earth.

The, flaming, expelled fuel shot, very prettily, about 2metres across the workshop and landed on the fuel store,( luckily fire resistant and shut)

No major problem this time, but I will take more care in future.

Good advice - I have had a 1 foot flame leap out of the plug hole before now when testing the spark - gave me a bit of a surprise - the hair grows back after a while so no harm done:001_rolleyes:

Flippin heck - that was easy......NEXT:lol::lol:

HAHA well as you asked, i have a problem with one of my saw. lol.

I have a 046 which last time i went to use it, there was nothing happening when turning her over, so i used the smallest amounts of easy start as she had not been started for a very long time. then she fired up first go and did so a couple of times when i turned her on and off. But when i was using her on the job the following day she statred easy enough but once worm arfter say 10-15mins and she was turned off i could not start her again. Any ideas?

Sorry to be so long winded....!!!

Buster

Sounds a little like your metering arm is a little low and isn't letting fuel through when it should - could be that the diaphragm is a little worn and is causing it.

I would pop the carb off and give it a clean up, take the metering arm up by around 0.1 - 0.3mm - if you but a flat edge across the top of the carb, it will be easier to judge. Check the gauze filter under the single screw cover - you may find fine crud in there.

Whitst doing this, check your fuel filter and make sure your fuel pipe hasnt gone very soft plus make sure your tank breather is OK.

There is a slight possibillity the coil has a problem but sounds less likely.

When the saw is hot and it won't start, try releasing the fuel tank cap and replacing it and see if that helps, if it does, it points toward a plugged breather.

Let us know how you get on!